IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

17 hours ago, barrows said:

Yes, different SFP modules can sound different in highly resolving systems, the differences can be quite subtle.  For example, I would not recommend bothering to experiment with different SFP modules unless one has already optimized all other aspects of the Network set up:  especially the power supply for the oR, and opticalModule if in use.  Make sure these are the best supplies possible: The Sonore Power Supply is recommended for best performance.

If everything else is optimized and you would like to experiment with other SFPs, I will say I like the Finisar FTLF1421P1BTL as a pair in my opticalModule Deluxe and Signature Rendu SEoptical.  Note that these SFPs use single mode fiber (OS2, yellow) cables.

Thanks barrows! 🙏

I am attaching a photo of my oR setup. Hopefully, those are the power supplies that you recommended. I do have Synergistic Purple fuses in both my Sonore power supplies (though, this only makes a very minor difference, IMHO).

My goal is to make my oR setup sound a bit more fluid / analog (like my SoTM trifecta) and less digital. I know that it is possible as a few members have described their oR setup as very ‘analog’ sounding. I think my oR (with my current power supplies) sounds more dynamic and has better ‘blacks’ than my SoTM but is a bit more digital sounding.

FWIW: here is the rest of my system.

DAC: Holo Audio May L2

Preamp: (1) VAC Renaissance MkV or (2) Audio Research REF 6

Amps: (1) Parasound JC1+ monos, or (2) Pass Labs X260.8 monos

Speakers: Focal Maestro Utopia III + twin REL subs

I also noticed that while the SoTM is compatible with the Innuos Phoenix Net switch (that I am demoing), the oR is not (though, this factor is not of much importance to me).

84FFE88A-403E-463F-BE9E-E5B73B9E10F3.jpeg

@barrows  First: thank you for your detailed reply, Sir. If you're ever in the tri-state area and would like to audition / hear / critique my system & chat music / equipment over some drinks, let me know.

1. The one big 'area for improvement' I've always heard from the audiophiles who've heard my setup is that it is too warm. I've owned 3 other sets of Focal speakers before this one (Electra 1038Be, Sopra 3, and Scala Utopia). From experience, the smaller / earlier Focals tended to be bright. Surprisingly, Maestros have a warm signature - which does not blend well with the fact that JC1+ tend to be on the warm side too (or, at least, a bit less detailed in the top end).

2. Pass X260.8 monos are wonderful, especially for Jazz (they make you melt in your seat when paired with a good tube preamp) & with most other speakers, I'd keep them and sell the JC1+ monos. However, because my speakers' impedance dips down to 1.7 ohms at 110Hz, I find that the JC1+ are a better overall fit (especially for classical music). With speakers that can utilize their fantastic current delivering capacity, they are surprisingly underrated.

3. Yes, the Innuous switch connects to the opticalModule, Intel NUC (running Roon), and the Mac Studio (running HQPlayer). Yes, it is 100Mb, so that might be the reason why it does not work with the oM / oR.

4. Thanks for the 1421 SFP recommendation. Apparently, it is 'obsolete' according to Mouser. Must be discontinued.

5. I can vouch for your Sonore Audiophile Power Supply. It is tremendous. It seems to have a very low output impedance as it is quite dynamic with the oR & music has fast transients.

I shall PM you with my findings...