IGNORED

Any MSB fans here ?

On 12/25/2018 at 2:31 AM, mintakax said:

I have an MSB Discrete DAC and am considering upgrading it to the Premiere. The upgrade price is basically the difference between new prices of the units (thanks for that MSB). As far as I can tell, the upgrade consists of one more DAC module per channel and an upgraded clock. I'd really like to hear from anybody who has heard the two units and could say something about their respective SQs. I don't see many posts about MSB products on CA. There is an MSB forum on audioshark but very little traffic.

I have a Premier Dac with Ethernet as Input though I cannot say I am a fan of MSB.  I auditioned a Discrete Dac in the dealer and it was good so I ordered a Premier Dac (since my last was a Rossini Dac so I would like to have a more or less same level gear).  It takes more than a month before MSB can deliver and it did not come with the power supply and the dealer is kind enought to lend me one for interim use until my power supply is shipped. 

I cannot say that I can still rememeber how the Discrete Dac sound but I am quite satisfied with the SQ of the Premier Dac.  It has more detail than my last but it does not sound digital at all.  There is NOS and it plays as source. 

However, I did experience trouble in setting up the control app and I beleiver the Renderer manual (still V1) is seriously out of date by suggesting the apps choice.  In fact, none of them works, Kinsky can only play one song at a time while others cannot find the device.  Finally, I have to use Roon (not free app) to make it work.

MetalNuts

On 12/28/2018 at 11:25 PM, mintakax said:

MetalNutz, do you have questions about the new renderer ? I have found the MSB tech support to be very responsive, you will likely get a response from one of the owners. I had an issue with my Renderer occasionally freezing up and they worked with me very closely, even after business hours, to get it resolved.

As for control apps, I use Roon and am very happy with it. 

When I order the Renderer, the sales did not tell me that in fact there is only a few controller apps that work.  I thought it was as said the Renderer V1 manual that apps like Kinsky, Kazoo, Lumin and Ligthning DS will work.

In fact, I used half day trying different apps, most of them, I could not even complete setting up, like Lightning DS that requiring picking a model of its own brand, others cannot find the MSB device.  I have a Kinsky app that recognised the MSB but each time it played a file and disconnected.

I tried Media Stattion and DS Audio of Synology (my NAS is Synology), it works.

I then tried Roon, it also works but I hate those fancy stuff it provides and it mess up the tags of my files and cannot display as I want, no "Various Artists".  Anyway, it works.

One more thing to note is that I found out that the renderer is not gigabit but it handles DSD256 and DXD without problem. 

So far, there is no problem with the Renderer with Roon in playing the files (if you know where to find them!!!)

MetalNuts

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Despite the MSB Premier DAC and Powerbase, each has its own spikes and pad, I have tried using different isolators.  I have the Dac stacked on the Powerbase using the MSB supplied spikes and pads whereas under the Powerbase, I have used Stillpoints Ultra SS and recently Hifistay Hardpoint Trinia.

I like the Hardpoint Trinia more and it enhance the natural flow and analogue feel of the Dac. 

MetalNuts

• 3 weeks later...

From all photos on the web, the two were stacked with the Dac on top of the powerbase and which makes me believe that they can be so stacked up without sound quality issue.  You are the one who has separated them and find there a difference and I may follow suit to see the difference.

Further, I have custom made the power cables that connect the powerbase to the DAC and I find there improvement as well, unfortunately, I cannot find better quality din plugs for the cable, the kind of plug used by MSB are for computer use and certainly not those commonly used by the audio industry for such priced items.

MetalNuts

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, alfa said:

I have the MSB Analog DAC RUNNING DIRECT TO POWER AMP. I need to know if the volume control in The Premier DAC is better than any preamp .  I’m considering upgrade options. Do I upgrade to Premier DAC or try a preamplifier ?

I had Esoteric N-05, N-01, DCS Rossini and now I am using MSB Premier DAC but I have not used their equipped Pre-amp function.  I had tried with my previous DACs but I do not find them as good as a proper pre-amp or the integrated amp.  

However, you should try yours to see whether you prefer the DAC's pre-amp or not.

MetalNuts

• 8 months later...
13 hours ago, sbilotta said:

I have a Diamond DAC V and am interested in how you custom made those cables.

I am presuming you didn't do it yourself?

What cables did you use?

Also, did the isolation feet you used (Ultra SS and/or Hardpoint Trinia) significantly enhance the sound?

Thx

Stefano

I have tried Stillpoints ultra mini for the premier dac which sits on the power base.  Ultra mini will give me a warmer sound but I have the feeling of it muddling the sound and separation of instruments therefore it is not my cup of tea so I am now using the original MSB supplied feet.  For the power base, I use Hifistay's Hardpoint Trinia which also gives me a warmer sound and a darker background without the muddling.

For power cables from the power base to dac, I am not sure what brand is it since it only costs a few hundred Hong Kong dollars and DIY by some local technician. 

MetalNuts