IGNORED

Any MSB fans here ?

On 11/7/2019 at 1:31 PM, tranz said:

It really is a shame that they took that user input away in the newer models. It would stop me from buying any new generation MSB. If I cannot select the digital filter, especially if the default is linear phase, it is a no-go for my ears.

Perhaps if more people ask for it, they will bring it back as it would seem to be a relatively easy function to add since it is obviously in the code somewhere already.

Naw...They advanced the tech so far beyond the Analog DAC the filters actually negatively effected the sound in all tests so they eliminated them. They aren't coming back unless there were sonic benefits in doing so. Personally I have DACs with filters, they're rarely implemented in an effective way and quite honestly just add more settings to deal with. I just want to plug the damn thing in and listen. If I need to tweak hard ware a little get where I need to be so-be-it, but filters I can live without if the overall package sounds as good as MSB does. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Speakers=SF Heritage/Amator

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

• 8 months later...

nice write up thanks for the information. As a Discrete owner, and after running the Discrete in various configurations, I would disagree with Vince's assertion the Pro USB is better than the digital inputs. I am finding AES sounds better than the Pro USB, in my system anyway. Pro USB does have a bit more bass drive but the rest of the sound is better via AES, which makes sense since it's a quiet connection with no power rails. 

I auditioned a DAVE (not deconstructed) and TT2 and found all Chord products lacked the musicality of MSB. As you mentioned imaging better, incredible PRaT with MSB. To each their own, but I think Chord sounds cold and artificial. Can't beat the form factor of it though, great for off a desk top. If you go reference you will never look back. I will be upgrading to a Premier soon as I can't imagine any DAC brand..Well thats a lie, I'd pull Rockna in, it's equally as spectacular in it's own way, for less money. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

Just now, MarkusBarkus said:

...and it's not lost on me that I have said I "like" the Chord sound...but then I set about changing it to not sound like Chord. Funny. 

I will use the Chord gear for a desktop/headphone system I have wanted for upstairs, when Sweetie is working. 

I have not tried the MSB as a pre-amp, but I know Vince G. is a strong proponent of that config. I like my pre-amp. I would have considered other dacs, but demo-ing them is a challenge. 

I agree listening is important at this price point but difficult to do unfortunately. Yeah if I weren't in love with my Sugden I would consider the MSB as a pre, but there is NO way it will do a better job. 

I think as you run alot of music through your MSB you will realize how much it just sound natural. It took me lots of listening, and yes the sound opens up, but how it handles lots of music was an additional piece of the process that had me gain a ton of respect for what MSB does. Their prices are astronomical but they are truly end game DACs. If you're in this for the long haul it's worth it. I will probably just keep moving up within the line over time. 

Congrats on your decision. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

Just now, divertiti said:

Thanks for the follow-up thoughts. In the write-up it's not immediately clear how large of a leap the Reference is from the Premiere or how much it exceeded the Dave. You said it was "Smooth like the premiere but with a bit more detail". That doesn't seem like it would be worth double the price to go up to near $50K. Can you elaborate a bit on that?

you really can't approach audio this way. MSB would be out of business if that were the case. It's all about the ear and brain. Price doesn't dictate value or sound quality in this hobby incrementally...Unfortunately. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...after about two weeks of listening to only the Reference and just right now switching back to the Dave/DC4/Gaia path, it sounds obvious to *me* that the MSB has more weight musically.

A lot of detail...gobs... in this Dave set-up, but by comparison,  the MSB has plenty of detail...but also more musical gravitas. To me. Cheers...

Yeah I can't imagine based on my time with the TT2 the DAVE would be even close to anything MSB makes. Chord sound is detailed, and it stops there..For my ear anyway. 

You keeping the reference? 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

Just now, MarkusBarkus said:

Yeah. A lotta cabbage, but yes. Sell the MScaler, maybe a kidney, and enjoy the music.

Lol....You will heal eventually and grow to rationalize why it's worth it over time. Worth it if you keep it a long while. I have a Discrete, and although I will end up in a Premier, I am not rushing to do so. Damn DAC sounds so analog I NEVER tire of listening to it. 

Enjoy your reference. MSB is special gear. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

59 minutes ago, Noushy said:

Agreed.  I saved for a long time and have an amazing dealer who worked with me.  Did the upgrades little by little (femto clock, powerbase).  Yes mine is around $40k complete with all upgrades but to each his own.  People buy $200k cars all the time.

Noushy

Agreed...If people amortized all the gear they bought and sold out of dissatisfaction, one MSB DAC is probably cheaper. I've been in the hobby long time, it was a worthy investment for how much I listen and for how much bad gear I've heard over the years. I won't name any one Brand specifically but they've been called out in this thread. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

32 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...on my end, I have Magico A5s, a pair of Luxman m900 amps, their c900 pre, and a Taiko Extreme server. Well treated room and a couple of dedicated lines. Honestly, one would be hard-pressed to determine local file or streaming.

Nice set up, pure Class A amps are key here. I am running a Bricasti server into my MSB feeding a Sugden IA4 (also pure ClassA) into a set of SF Electa which are some of my favorites speakers. All wired up with Tellurium Q Silver Diamond. I love this combination. A Premier will likely bring it to a place I won't feel the need to change for a while. Discrete is certainly no slouch, best DAC I have owned in my 20 years of buying hifi. 

Amp=Sugden IA4

Source=MSB Discrete DAC

Sub=Rel T5i

Antipodes K50

• 2 months later...