IGNORED

mutec MC3+USB or JCAT Femto USB card and HD Plex 200W PSU

Fox Audio

Hello,

I am running a dedicated Audio PC with Windows Server 2016, AO and Roon. This PC is connected via USB to an Audiolab M-DAC.

The sound is really nice but when I play CD's with my Denon DCD50 cd-player over coax through the M-DAC if find the sound more relaxed, more powerful bass and just more black. My PC is more resolving on the other hand.

I know I have have to get the USB signal out of my PC in a far better way than what i have now. I have a budget of 1000 euro and was thinking about a Mutec MC3+ USB which then would be connected via coax to the DAC. Other option was to spend the 1000 euro on an JCAT FEMTO USB card  + a HDPLEX 200W PSU/400W HiFi DC-ATX combo. The USB connection of the M-DAC is limited to 96kHz, the coax would give me192kHz but most of my files are 16/44. Also concidered to sell the MDAC and buy a Schiit Gungir Multibit DAC.

So, what would you guys do I my case with a budget of 1000 euro to improve the sound? ?

Thanks in advance and kind regards

I'd do the upgrades in the following order:

1/ JCAT FEMTO USB + iFi iPower as external PSU.

2/ Mutec mc3+USB or Schiit Eitr

3/ DAC upgrade

Doing all 3 at once will exceed your budget allowance, so I'd proceed one at a time, savoring the SQ improvement with each change for a while before moving on to the next upgrade.  I'd start powering JCAT USB with an iPower, then look into a more ambitious PSU such as Nano iUSB, Micro iUSB (I'm using now with love), HDPLEX, or Uptone LPS-2.  Step 1 and 2 can be interchangeable.  16/44 is your choice now but never say you never go hi-res or DSD, so better be prepared.

Just two cents from my personal computer audio journey.  Wishing you best of luck.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.