IGNORED

Mp3 to DSD Conversion

Mitch

5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I just have to ask. Why would you (or anybody for that matter) want to convert an MP3 file to DSD? I can see going the other way (for convenience on some portable player), but not MP3 to DSD. 

I think a potential reason we could accept is the artist recorded or distributed the files as mp3. The 90's and early 00's saw a lot of capability wasted to this end.  An attempted improvement is not without some willingness to be laughed at. Or looked at sideways. 

I took the ugliest lowest bit rate and clearest best sounding mp3's at hand and used a few programs to do offline upconversions to DSD128. As a lark because I could in a very brief amount of time. Style of music and what was contained on the file had a fairly large impact within the small range you'd expect. In a very slim amount of recordings it proved almost worth the effort. The single effort expended on it alone. 

@Mitch My short, read mostly from an outside perspective, experience with upsampling makes me believe it has no suitable grounds outside the truly low and high ends of sound reproduction currently. It is equally novel and affirming to both audiences. 

Were I you, the idea of making analog (vinyl) favorites into DSD files would greatly outweigh pursuing a course of upsampling mp3/PCM.  An increasingly large number of which can be had in a native higher bitrate through download or streaming. Of course this interest in SOX seems very healthy. Just noting an obvious direction to consider going with it.