IGNORED

How does Airplay with AppleTV3 limit the subtleties??

At any rate, thank you Superdad for your responses.

First, my setup sounds just fine and accords with Bill's comment re SQ.  I am inclined to do some testing tho...

You have introduced 3 lines of evidence:

1. Roon's comments

2. old thread here

3. Australian thread

The Australian thread comes down to merely a warmer sound - and apparently on on a TV2, not TV3.  The treble drop off is certainly less than many speakers too.  I agree no freq. range reductions are best tho.

The old thread here also relates to a TV2 and I made some comments on that thread bumping it up.  There is more RAM (of the same type) and a faster processor in the TV3, tho it is not clear those changes matter to SQ.  There may be other changes as well, and some have commented on SQ differences.

The Roon comments are in 2 areas: one is the claimed "destructive" rate conversion.  He does not say what is being "destroyed" either.  There is an old thread on this here and without more on how this upsampling damages SQ I regard it as a red herring.  Measurements and/or listening tests are also lacking.

The second issue raised by the Roon quote is clocking.  I am curious about that one.

Your use of "well known etc." is really not supported at all.  But you have made me a little suspicious of the TV3, so I think I'll do a direct comparison with my Mac Mini feeding into the same DAC, tho not using the same interface unfortunately.