IGNORED

Best quality headphones for under $800

I'm currently torn between my Audeze LCD-2 Closed Backs and my Sony MDR-Z7M2 as my favorite cans. Both are fairly neutral yet still warm and fun, and they both list for US $899 but can be had for less. (Note that the latter is "M2" as in "Model 2", just released. The original Z7 is very dark with recessed midrange.)

Moving along the spectrum into even more neutral and lower-priced choices are the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro (I have the old DT-770 Pro and they are excellent for detailed listening but the sound signature is still "V shaped"), the even more neutral "Professional Studio" models from Audio-Technica like the ATH-M50x or ATH-MSR7 (I have the old ATH-M40fs and they are very clear), and — for the most neutral studio sound I've ever owned — perhaps the on-ear so a bit less comfortable JVC HA-MX100-Z (I own the previous model, HA-MX10-B).

I have only closed-backs, so can't speak to open-backs. But in your price range there many more fine choices in both open and closed headphones from Sennheiser and others that I have not heard, like the HD-650. I'm sure someone will chime in on those here, but you should definitely also ask this question on head-fi.org

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

4 hours ago, Seth said:

I was looking into the M70x and after your post i looked at online comparisons to the MSR7's. My hypothetical conclusion is that the M70x is more neutral and revealing. I think what I want to do is buy a lower grade headphone first and then when I have saved enough I could buy something like the charter oak sp1's. 

I think the ATH-M70x is a fine choice, in value and neutral sound. If you do try that model, please post a report here. Pricing often reflects how many units a manufacturer can sell, not just what's in them, and although based on reviews you may want to be careful not to drop an M70x, they are clearly very well-designed and very popular headphones. I've had my 40fs for eight years and have dropped them countless times. They still work just fine, though I used them so much I had to buy replacement Brainwavz memory foam earpads.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.