IGNORED

Pops and Clicks at 96/24

Hi folks,

I've been THRILLED with my setup playing 44/16 files ripped from CD. Rock solid performance for 6 months - FAB sound.

Just started trying 96/24 files, either FLAC from HD tracks or WAV ripped from vinyl. Even BETTER sound! but... periodically playback has electronic pops and clicks, sometimes in middle fo songs, sometimes when playback switches between 96/24 and 44/16 between songs.

Any thoughts on where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks!!

out: Windows 7 > jriver mc14 > asio4all > Lynx AES16e > Redco custom Gotham AES/EBU cable (70ft) > Antelope DA Clock > Harmonic Technologies Magic Digital 1 AES/EBU cable > Berkeley Alpha DAC > AudioQuest Cheetah RCA interconnects > NuForce Ref 9 v2 SE amps > Nordost Red Dawn II speaker cables > Magnepan 3.6R speakers.[br]vinyl in: Lucid AD9624 > Redco custom Gotham AES/EBU cable > Lynx AES16e > Windows 7 > Goldwave

pops are signs of high jitter/dropped samples. It is likely that the length of your SPDIF cable is not helping this situation. Try testing with a short cable.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I had a lot of problems with clicks and pops when I upgraded my motherboard and OS to Win 7. It turns out that aggressive power management on the motherboard was the problem. See my earlier posting on this at http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Power-management-causing-clicks-and-pops.

This may not be your problem, but it is worth checking. Windows 7 seems very prone to audio drop-outs, so all unnecessary background tasks should be halted. Good-luck, and let us know any solutions you find!

- John Atwood

• 2 weeks later...

- More buffering may be required for 24/96 playback than for 16/44.1 playback. Did you try increasing the buffering in JRMC or in Asio4all?

- Sometimes it is more effective to identify the source of the problem before you try various remedies. There are two good tools you can use to watch what's happening when you hear a glitch.

1. Task manager - With JRMC running, [press the Ctrl-Alt_Del key combination and choose "Start Task Manager". Click on the "Performance" tab to see the overall patten of CPU and virtual memory use. The Task manager window will be updated every few seconds so you can watch until a pop or clicks occurs. (The Task Manager window stays on top of oyher windows, you will will have to drag it around a bit to get at the JRMC interface.

You can click on the "Processes" tab to see how individual processes are using CPU time and memory and doing disk I/O. Click on a column heading like CPU to sort the processes by the value displayed in that column.

2. DPC Latency checker works at a lower level to show you how much delay is present between the interrupt handler for hardware and the next level in handling communication between the hardware and your application. This tool displays the amount of delay in executing a deferred procedure call. The display is updated every few seconds.Big numbers and red bars indicate that they is a source of delay.

Report back on what you see with these tools when a glitch occurs.

- Your signature says

"Windows 7 > jriver mc14 > asio4all > Lynx AES16e "

Why are you using Asio4all? Your Lynx card should have come with a real Asio driver. Use that Asio driver instead of Asio4all.

Bill

Hi, I also experienced these kind of pops and clicks until I changed to "wasapi event style". According to Jriver in this mode the sound device gets the data from the software when it needs it and it is recommended when the sound device support it.

I think this was implemented in Jriver 15. I use an RME 9632 card with latest drivers and the pops were also present with ASIO.

MiniPC(Plextor Premium-EAC-W7-JRiver15-RME9632)via SPDIF to a Naim DAC/555PS[br]Naim 252/300 amp[br]Kudos C20 speakers