IGNORED

Can I Run Romex Wire Between Joists In Photo?

The Computer Audiophile

In my above post the article linked is more permissive.  The video is following IET standards. 

Keep holes minimum of 2 inches from the top and bottom of the joist.  Keep the hole diameter at or less than 25% of the joist height.  Put the hole as close to the middle as you can vertically.  Don't put it near a load bearing wall under the joist.  It is best to avoid the center third of the joist span for such holes.  

Romex really wouldn't need any protection other than as someone mentioned rodents.  You could use thin wall emt or plastic conduit if you wished.  You are NOT supposed to run Romex thru conduit.  You should use THHN wire if you go with conduit. 

Calculations I've seen show even a hole 33% of joist height directly in the middle of a joist only reduces strength by 4%.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

https://www.sterling-kansas.com/DocumentCenter/View/146

Here in a simple PDF is a copy of the 2011 NEC (National Electrical Code).  You can download it, do a control F for joists and it will take you to the pertinent part.  Which will be page 70-136 (pg 139 of the 879 page PDF).  You'll see if you read on in other sections they more or less prefer you run wire in bored holes in joists and studs.  This protects the wire from incursion from nails. In other instances they require some protection though there are various other conditions.  Boring a joist for Chris' purpose is just fine and dandy.  Their only requirement is the hole be minimum of 1.25 inches from the edges of the joist.  Which btw is mainly to prevent nails or screws contacting the wire. The other ideas in my other links about hole size and position are being extra careful and good ideas, but not even part of the code.  

There are the 2014 and 2017 versions of the updated NEC, but they aren't different from this one in regard to boring holes in joists.  This version was easy to download and access.  

So you've got your answer.  How do you think houses are wired anyway?  They have to bore holes in studs, headers, and joists.  They don't want you notching edges without other precautions.   With exposed crawl spaces or attics you can staple over such framing features if they are not accessible to other use on a regular basis.  But in a case where Chris needs a hole to get to the wire destination drill your hole and move on.  There is nothing to worry about. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

42 minutes ago, One and a half said:

With the new rules, the actual testing procedure is more streamlined. Once the fixed wiring is installed and all compliance with that occurs, the next stage is electrical testing.

Results are recorded.

image.thumb.png.90fac5653b8e9c59fe23b573854b31fe.png

So the IR or Insulation Resistance test is performed as a normal part of testing, like for polarity and earth fault. 

Yes, but that is Aussie and New Zealand code.  It would be all upside down for where Chris is in the USA.

Just kidding guys.  :)

What Chris is wanting to do is pretty basic.  I don't see any death defying aspects to it. 

Having done some BX stuff, no, don't do it.  I know the suggestion is offered with the best intentions.  So not cracking on anyone.  But I'd go romex as applicable (and in Chris' case it is) or I'd go conduit and THHN wires.  BX is really not getting you much and the other solutions are better for this kind of situation.