IGNORED

Airport Express and KEF LS50W - Anyone actually using that combo?

7 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Extremely helpful, sounds like the perfect solution - thank you!

It's ironic, though - seems like a very similar situation to what I went through with the Sqeezebox Touch when I first got seriously into computer-based music streaming: I became aware of the Touch soon after it had been discontinued and it took some doing to find one on the used/third-party market, especially for a reasonable price. Looks like I might be in for a similar journey now! ?

I have actually purchased 3 of these units (I bought a spare) - so you can guess what I think of them. A true hifi bargain especially now that they have debugged their app, Lighting DS, and recently added Spotify connect.

I listen to both Tidal and local files via the Lightning DS app, whereas my family use Spotify connect. The important thing to remember is that the unit itself is the source, not your iPhone or iPad, which merely act as remotes. i..e there is no denigration of sound quality usually associated with streaming via airplay or blue tooth. You connect the mini to the internet via your router either wirelessly or via ethernet. A good wireless network is essential to use the LightningDS app effectively.

I installed a 500G SDD drive into two of my units (you could just as easily add an external HDD) and loaded my favourite ripped CDs and hires music. You can of course install any size SDD drive you like. So not only is it a streamer but it also a music server.

To improve the experience I purchased a second hand iPad (2013) for $150 and use it as a designated remote with Lightning DS installed. It sits on the coffee table in an el cheapo L shaped stand. Really cool.

If you add an LPS, SSD and the iPad you increase the cost of the unit by $600 to around $1K, however, a LPS such as booster (16V 1 Amp) ensures the DAC inside the unit provides a very high quality analogue output and it is really all you need to bring digital connectivity to a traditional HiFi system - easily replaces the need for a computer.

Hi feelingears,

I have not heard the G1 & G2 so cannot comment on sound quality vs the mini, however, Chris recently reviewed the G2 and maybe able to help. Note the G2 is around 10 times the price of the Mini.

What I do know is that I am so happy with the mini that I have not bothered A/B testing IT against other sources. This is most likely laziness on my part but also an insight into how much I value and enjoy the versatility and ease of use of the unit. To me listening to music is like going to the gym. If it is too hard you don't go as often.

I have music playing constantly!

Good luck finding a unit in good condition - if you can't find one they are selling new in Aus for around A$699 = US$500 + shipping. They are not much bigger than an Apple TV so should be relatively inexpensive to transport.

https://simplyhifi.com.au/product/auralic-aries-mini-streamer-629-00-new-stock-just-arrived/

Good Luck,

Ajax

I

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Thanks for this great info!

One question, RE the bit I've bolded in your comment: If the Aries mini is Airplay-capable, wouldn't that mean that an iDevice could in fact be used as the source if one wanted (putting aside for the moment any sound-quality concerns)?

What I'm looking for, since this will be a living-room system used by both my wife and me, is for her to be able to do what she does now (with a much lesser small stereo system plus Airport-Express): Pick up her iPhone, select the Airplay source in Control Center, and then hit Play on a song or playlist in the music library that's on her phone. In other words, I guess what I'm asking is, regardless of its additional options and capabilities, can the Aries mini be used as an Airport Express (except with better jitter performance etc)?

I, of course, would love to have additional options and would be happy to use my iPhone or an iPad as a remote in the way you describe, especially since that would allow for the transmission of bit-perfect and high-res content. And over time my wife might possibly migrate to such a method too (she's quite tech-literate; it's just about convenience and about not forcing her to migrate to a new method without her having the option to keep doing what she does now). But for ease of use, given the location and function of this particular system, I want to preserve the iPhone-as-source option/scenario.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide - much appreciated.

In a word YES

Have another read of the two reviews I linked above and they both refer to the unit being capable of both airplay and bluetooth.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers