IGNORED

Airport Express and KEF LS50W - Anyone actually using that combo?

Hi,

I've posted elsewhere that my system, to my ears, holds up extremely well against better systems costing $$$$$ more. One of the few systems I've heard that sounds "better" than mine in some respects is the LS50 Wireless, and this was in a non-optimal room with no digital front end optimization or filtering or stuff people obsess about here at CA. So I would expect that the following would likely work well with your LS50W:

Macbook -> Netgear Orbi mesh wi-fi -> Airport Express (optical out) -> Wyred 4 Sound Remedy (powered by Uptone Audio LPS-1, coax BNC out) -> DAC, rest of system

And in your case, the LS50W comes after the W4S Remedy. Note that a critical piece of this chain is Uptone Audio's LPS-1 power supply (I'd now recommend their LPS-1.2) feeding the Remedy. And note that the Remedy upsamples to 96kHz (always) and is limited to CD quality because that's the Apple Airport standard. i.e., No DSD, etc. and so if your listening is all PCM (CD quality) then you're golden. If you're into DSD, etc. then the only other option is a digital to digital converter such as the Mutec. Either way, you're stepping up around $1000. 

Hope this helps. I love my Remedy. Sounds great and it keeps life simple (Apple) for the family. When Apple finally makes iTunes unbearable (seems possible) then I'm planning to go Auralic Aries G1 or G2 streamer because of their Lightning DS software is included in the package. I also like Sonore's hardware products but I don't like the third-party software you'd have to use with it and I don't use Roon.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

W4S have the Remedy at $320 in the clearance section:

https://wyred4sound.com/products/clearance-0

And, you don't strictly need to use the LPS-1.2 power. In your situation it might be worth trying just the W4S and that gets you much closer to your price point. 

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

You're welcome. Note that you're still using optical from the Remedy to your KEFs because there's no coax input, so you'll need appropriate cable.

FWIW, cables are controversial. If you need length and don't want to spend a mint on an audiophile cable, I'm sure there are options at Amazon for TOSLINK cable. If you want to get both an audiophile cable and have length to keep your gear away from the KEFs so they look clean and modern like you see in their marketing photos, then check out Mapleshade Audio's 14 foot (coil down to 1.5 feet) Toslink: https://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Optical-Audio-Cables/products/338/

Yes, I have one because others here whose ears/opinions I have come to trust like Mapleshade products in their systems. So, I gave 'em a go because use the length to keep my AEx across the room from the rack. No, I haven't tested it against my previous optical cable, but as I noted earlier, that is because I don't feel my system is lacking enough to bother and that is because my next step up would involve substantial extra cost and won't involve optical cable. 

I find that a hallmark of a good (well-balanced/tuned) system is how often you're doing something else and you hear the music and it stops you for a second–you smile and think to yourself, "This sounds great!" Good luck and happy listening! 

Oh that’s a good recommendation too. What do you think about Mini vs Aries vs G1/G2?

Unrelated but important, I feel the choice of streamer is obviously h/w dependent, but I don’t want to get stuck with under-funded software. Lightning DS seems to be well supported and maintained. 

Anyway would love to hear your impressions. 

@Ajax Thanks, I've no doubt it's a fine unit as you've set up. My interest, unlike the OP, is more in the diminishing returns category as I'm just wondering how much more I can eeeek out of my already excellent system by using the higher end Aries' AES output to my DAC. I use BNC coax now and really have no complaints. I can hear cable differences–a double edged sword at times.

USB is the economic common denominator but I'm trying to stay away from USB decrapifiers and extra power supplies and extra cables–that adds up $$$$$ very fast.

Anyway, the Mini is a good solution for low cost! Good to be reminded.