IGNORED

Article: My Quest for a New DAC, Part 4 - iFi Pro iDSD (and friends)

Austin, great review. I'm  loving the pro iDSD -> Soundware P1 -> Susvara combo. In terms of power supply, I was actually looking into getting a Audioquest Niagra 1000 to give my whole chain cleaner power. Is there a major difference between a dedicated linear power supply vs a power reconditioner/regenerator? 

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

17 minutes ago, austinpop said:

In my experience, improving the AC side of things is an additional gain to what you get with a great DC PSU. They're both useful.

On the AC side, my top 3 things to do are:

1. install one or more dedicated circuits to your audio setup. Use at least 10 AWG Romex cable.
  2. Use a power conditioner/regenerator of your choice. I use a PS Audio power regenerator, but people swear by Shunyata, Audioquest, Synergistic, etc too.
  3. Use high quality power cables.

The DC PSU can then leverage the gains you get from the AC side of things.

So if I have all stock power supply get a linear power supply first over anything else?

Alienware R7 with Paul Pang V2 USB PCIE -> iFi Pro iDSD -> McIntosh MHA100 -> Hifiman Susvara. Keeping it simple!

On 10/26/2018 at 11:28 AM, Superdad said:

Dear Rajiv:

On behalf of myself and John Swenson, I wish to thank you for again including UpTone Audio's unique JS-2 choke-filtered, dual-rail, 5-7 amp linear power supply as a companion piece in your highly informative ongoing survey of DACs.

The only further piece of information that I would like to convey is that the JS-2 ($925 with 1 custom 1.5m Oyaide/Belden heavy-gauge, shielded star-quad DC cabe; $75 more for a second cable) is always readily available--in continuous production of about 25 units per month. (I pinch myself when reflecting that its been over 4 years and close to 700 units!)

We do sell out most every month, so although there is no AddToCart button on the JS-2's web page, a simple e-mail to us via the contact form will be replied to promptly with a guaranteed ship date (typically 1-2 weeks) and a reasonable freight quote for international FedEx or domestic Priority Mail delivery.

Again, we are glad that you have so enjoyed partnering the JS-2 with such fine DACs.  It always delights us—and our clients—when the JS-2 is used to power a quality audio component such as a DAC or DDC (as opposed to various computers, NAS, etc.—which it does fine for as well).

With kind regards,

--Alex Crespi

Alex,

I'm interested in the JS-2. It should be able to power both Pro iDSD and Violetric V281 amp right? I'm new to the whole LPS thing. Also do I need 2 additional power cables to go from the JS2 to the DAC and amp?

My experience with Pro iDSD is that it sound quite a bit better than Yggy A2 and Qutest. Yggy doesn't have the dynamics Pro iDSD presents. In terms of detail retrieval and sound stage, they are about the same. Also I can't stand the constant clicking with bitrate change. Again it's personal preference. I have heard arguments to support both DACs.