IGNORED

MQA vs HiRez: an apples-to-apples comparison - FINAL

1 minute ago, manisandher said:

Should be up now.

Yep. And exactly how I promised. Including no filtering.

So maybe the ADC's filtering is the bad boy ? Too bad it looks to be a music-frequency-correlated bad boy.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

15 minutes ago, manisandher said:

I mean, what on earth is the point of sampling at 384 when there's nothing but noise above 44.1 kHz?

The unnecessity to filter which is the explicit thought of 2L (they told me by telephone 10 years or so ago).

17 minutes ago, manisandher said:

Oh, and that faint line lies exactly on 44.1 kHz (!).

Looks odd to me after all. Something now is wrong. Including the rising slope beyond that point.

XXHighEnd (developer)

18 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

what's your point? is it supposed to become better once degraded to MQA? For a while in this thread I don't dig what you and, ie, Peter are inferring ;

Oh, now I have done it ?

1. I only participated the test;

2. I always explicitly claim that no MQA will be better than Hires (did you read that ? it is at least one time in this thread alone);

3. This Hires s*cks for sound which I can't help and which coincidentally is what about everybody agrees with.

So what is it what I was inferring, please ? :ph34r:

XXHighEnd (developer)

5 hours ago, Miska said:

To me it sounds strange if original format sounds worse than the down-conversion... That would mean applying a brickwall filter at 22.05 kHz and dithering down to 16-bit makes it sound better or at least as good on your system. That also tells something.

I would agree with you if the original would look unconditionally good. But it does not. This means that whatever is bad (which is above 22.05), was brickwalled out.

So it depend on how one judges the base (Hires version).

10 hours ago, manisandher said:

I'm happy with Miska's possible explanation for its extended HF content, namely:

Not the instrument itself after you have released the string, but the sound of nails hitting the strings can produce fairly sharp transients which you would see as horizontal lines in your vertical flowing spectrogram.

And that is not in order because where all the hash is visible the guitar not always plays, plus the attack of the guitar strings is hardly audible in any of the versions because of ... poor quality ?

Listen to it while keeping track of the spectrograph. It seems to be oversteering (if that is English) of some sort. With too many sounds at the same, this is happening. But it seems to be impeded by low frequency.

11 hours ago, austinpop said:

Have you and Peter concluded that ALL hi-res content is flawed

Not me, really. But I don't spend time on it because the chance is too high that it is a failure of some sort while I try to judge a system largely, instead of listening to music. So Rajiv, this situation happens when someone comes up with a ^2 of something, and in 2 weeks of time again, and then something else and then some software change or a DAC idea etc. etc. etc. So I can't listen to material which may be flawed in the base. Redbook is never flawed that I can think of. It may be a bad recording though, although this is quire rare in my book (of experiences).

Yes you can send me an example of a track (or 3 etc.). If it is okay it will have taken me a minute to see it and I will say so. If it is not OK it may take some time to judge it and we can post it and try to discuss it. Point always is : it will be you, the person of good faith who actually gets debunked when something of which he always thought was right, appears to be wrong. It may be good to know, but some times it is also good not to know. This is a hobby ...

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)