IGNORED

Soundstage Width cannot extend beyond speakers

STC

I posted some sample music one file of which should image outside the edges of your speakers.  I've not kept up with this thread nor do I intend to, but thought it might be of interest as it is on topic for this thread title.  So visit the thread link above. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

2 hours ago, STC said:

There is problem with using Larry's workaround test sample for this purpose. The recording was recorded in a church where the reverberation will be high. Reverberation and reflection will have out of phase information which can shift the image.  Ideally, such recordings should be done in free field so that only the exact position of source is captured without any reflection.

I still have your cricket recording and if I remember correctly there was a vehicle traveling at far right or left. Do you have any idea what would be angle of the cricket, the air cond and the traveling vehicle? 

Working from memory the primary near source of sound was 10 degrees or so left.  The vehicle would have been far left 80 degrees or so.  The AC would have been behind and between houses with most of that sound multiple reflections.  I think there was another AC perhaps more noticeable which would have been 40-50 degrees right.  

The image only shifted so much after I processed it.  And from experience with blumlein miking, if you get a musician over to one side and they get picked up on the rear out phase part of one channel and the front in phase part of the other the odd phasing can put them outside the edges much the same.  Just as is happening with the reverb in a church. 

The processing I did to the recording was to duplicate channels.  Swap right for left in the duplicate.  Invert phase of the duplicate.  Drop the level by 6 db.  Then mix it back together. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

44 minutes ago, STC said:

Rereading your earlier post on the recording of yours, I suspect you have some phase issues with the mics arrangement.  Image shouldn't shift. If someone stands 30 degrees to the left he should be localize there in the recording. 

I'm not sure which recording you are referring to in this instance. If talking about when I've used blumlein and had issues you've misunderstood where they were. 

For more fun, slow the file down to 44.1 khz and listen.  I do mean slow down not resample.  In Audacity you can change the file rate without changing samples.  Or alternatively slow the file down to 23% of its normal speed.  Then listen again. 

Also with the original file try listening centered, over to the left in line with the left speaker and ditto for the right. 

2 minutes ago, STC said:

Amazing! try listening at 0.16x speed. Nice echo.

At 23% you have lots of reverb.  At 16 % you are in the transition zone between huge reverb and echo.