IGNORED

Correct output voltage for SoTM SMS-200 Neo?

Poldi

Question

Hi,

on the bottom of my unit it says 9 volts.

On the SoTM webpage it says Input Voltage : +6.5 ~ 12Vdc
  Power : Max 15W

So which is correct?

The reason for me asking is that I can’t use the included 9V/2A power supply since I ordered the unit from the UK and the plug is not compatible with power sockets in Germany. But I have a few 12V power supplies, one with 3A and one with 5A. Are they suitable?

2 answers to this question

I don't own a SOtM SMs-200 Neo, but based on other SOtM products I do have, I believe both input voltage ratings show on your unit and their website are correct.

On their website, they specify below.  Where 9 voltage is standard, but from other SOtM products I have, there are jumpers on PCB internally to set input voltage to either 6.5V~8.5V or 12V.  You might want to contact them directly to see if you can set these jumpers yourself without sending them back to SOtM since they are quite simple to do.

Input voltage : 9Vdc(Optional 12Vdc or Optional 6.5Vdc ~ 8.5Vdc)

One thing to keep in mind about the power supplies you have.  It is quite important to have a power supply capable of regulating output voltage at tight tolerance to ensure it would not gone beyond manufacture's upper input voltage specification, so ask SOtM what is the maximum voltage SMs-200 Neo can accept when set at 12V, and see if your existing power supplies can meet that requirement.

Hope this helps.

Thanks elan120 for your help!

I actually got word back from SOtM support and it seems that both voltage ratins are correct. SOtM recommends 9v but you can also use anything between 6.5-12V. So you actually don't have to change anything with the jumpers. (Beware that with the Ultra version of the sMS-200 you actually have to change the jumper setting)

Some people are claiming that 12V sounds better than 9V with the (non-Ultra) sMS-200.