IGNORED

Is this website about "computer" audio anymore?

5 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

I am glad that it does for you but that does not come close to suiting my needs.

Agreed.  The nature of the target differs greatly among users.

Hi Kal,

I should have added the proviso that the Auralic Mini meets my needs for "stereo" playback as I know from reading your various contributions to CA & Stereophile that your own preferred listening environment is multi-channel.

As well as my ATC mains I have two SVS subs connected to my Devialet, as it also incorporates an active cross over, as well as an excellent DAC, pre-amplifier and 175W power amplifier (8 ohms). It is an amazing piece of kit, which also has regular firmware upgrades (that can actually increase the units power) and "configuration" upgrades that allow you to change the functions of the various inputs and outputs as well as manage the subs' cross over.

Combined with the Auralic Mini the Devialet I have an excellent sounding multi source front end with great flexibility. It is also very family and WAF friendly.

That said the miniDSP nanoAVR that you recently reviewed for Stereophile (great article by the way) is also a game changer IMO, not only for multi channel but also for active speakers. With such a limited supply of multi channel DACs available it is great that we now have a device that allows us to select our own DAC based on personal quality / price requirements (as an aside I also have a soft spot benchmark DACs, and have had the DAC1 HDR for about 8 years feeding my Adam A7 active speakers in my desktop system).

It just makes sense to me that if your source is digital then you should keep the "supply chain" digital as long as possible so that you can take advantage of all digital has to offer, including DSP and digital active crossovers, right up to the individual drivers' amps. I have always wanted to build a pair of Linkwitz LXmini active speakers (plus 2 x subs) and the nanoAVR will be perfect for that application.

There have been some recent articles here at CA lamenting the lack of development in Audio, however, I feel great sounding relatively inexpensive products such as the Auralic Mini (choice of streaming or local content), Devialet (choices of inputs and outputs with active cross over) and now the nanoAVR (choice of DACS) are game changes, at least for me. 

All the best,

Ajax

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers