IGNORED

Pure Music 1.65A

Panelhead

I downloaded the latest today. Only played one album to check it out. Sonically it sounds more direct and focussed to me. The notes did not mention any changes sonically.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in 1.65A compared to 1.63 as far as playback quality?

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Can't say I noticed, though I only listened briefly. Might give it another go later.

I did notice however, that the itunes time counter still freezes like the previous versions. I originally emailed P/M about this issue but never got an answer that satisfied me. Oh well...

Lyngdorf MP40..Aurender N200..Panasonic UB9000..SimAudio Titan MCH Amp..Emotiva BasX A4..KEF Ref 1 Meta..Dali Phantom IW..SVS Prime Elevation(4)..JL Audio F112..Shunyata Research Ztron Alpha HC/Digital..IsoAcoustics Gaia II, Orea Bronze..Billy Bags rack.

My interface has a volume control, so the level in PM is set at 0 dB. But maybe dithering is still applied.

I need to listen some more and swap out the FW cable again. Tried a new cable, cannot believe it is cable related but either the FW cable or 1.65A helped the sonics.

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Dithering is only applied if the box is selected in preferences George. I don't think that there were any sonic changes to this version from the last one; at least for me.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

"I did notice however, that the itunes time counter still freezes like the previous versions. I originally emailed P/M about this issue but never got an answer that satisfied me. Oh well..."

I am new to PM, so don't have anything to compare but have experienced a number of erratic behaviors myself, not the least of which is the time counter freezing but also the music goes into an endless loop of a few seconds of play time. Once I hit the space bar a couple of times it snaps out of it. I have also ran into one other oddity. Some tracks on some albums will jump back to almost the beginning of the track and start playing again but only after being about 2/3rds done. So far it only tends to happen on certain albums.

But I have only had the program installed for a couple of days now, it could be my setup, ie user error. Who knows.

"Some tracks on some albums will jump back to almost the beginning of the track and start playing again but only after being about 2/3rds done."

I've been experiencing the same issue with .65a. For me, it's usually with extra-long tracks. I'm sure he'll have it fixed in the next version tho.

MacbookPro//PureMusic//USB//Benchmark Dac1Pre//RWA Sig30//VR4jr

We've traced this behavior to a setting on the computer Energy Saver. Accordingly, the FAQ and Tips section of our website has been updated. Here is the text from that section:

System sleep should be disabled when playing audio (Energy Saver pane of System Preferences, set Computer sleep: to "Never").

From the point of view of the computer operating system (OS), if using Pure Music's Memory Play, the computer really isn't "doing" anything or "working" during playback, just fetching information from RAM. This is distinct from other player applications such as iTunes, which continually read from the hard disk while music is being played.

The OS uses disk and (to some extent) CPU activity to determine if the system is idle. Since Pure Music uses far less CPU than other applications, and the disk isn't being accessed during memory play, it is logical for the OS to presume the computer isn't busy or working, and to try to put the system to sleep.

The OS will then attempt to put the system to sleep, but this is intercepted by Pure Music. However during that time, there may be a brief interruption of the sound output. (If the sleep attempt happens at the worst possible time, then it may also affect track sequencing.)

Also, some DACs respond ungracefully if the system is put to sleep. Some will successfully re-establish a connection with Pure Music, but others will not, and only output silence until the DAC is reset (unplugged from the computer then replugged, with Pure Music and iTunes not running).

HTH. - Rob

From your post a couple before the above, the skipping involved playing extra-long tracks - longer than 10 to 15 minutes (if you are the same user who reported this to tech support), and it was just while using the factored upsampling, and there was a sound interruption between tracks... we are investigating this now.

(And I didn’t mean for the above suggestion pertaining to sleep to apply in your case, which appears to be unrelated to sleep - sorry I wasn’t clearer on that...)

Rob Robinson

Channel D

it wasn't i who reported to tech...

and what i'm experiencing is occurring with or without upsampling and/or memory play being active. Generally the track skipping happens with alac files that are entire sides of albums which i've recorded, but i also experience the same skipping with shorter alac tracks ripped from cd's.

what happens is that at some point during playback, the track will be playing fine and then suddenly jump backwards x minutes. From there, it may play the rest of the track fine, or it may randomly jump back again. It does this with all long tracks and is completely random as far as i can tell...

MacbookPro//PureMusic//USB//Benchmark Dac1Pre//RWA Sig30//VR4jr