IGNORED

Advice for multi-channel Amplifier with integrated USB DAC?

For my computer setup I am searching for a good quality amplifier with integrated DAC.

- at least one audio input via USB connection, usable from Windows and Linux. I want to play games and playback various media (movies, music).

- 4 channel (2 front, 2 surround) would be optimal for my setup, more (e.g. 5.1) wouldn't harm if I can leave them unused. Note: I don't want to aggregate two 2 channel devices.

- if possible, I'd like to re-use my existing JBL Control 1 Plus speakers (4 ohms impedance)

- as I sit quite close to the speakers (is that called near-field?), maximum output power is not very important. 50W per channel should be more than enough, maybe even less

- small footprint, maybe around the size of a Mac mini?

- low power usage, especially when no sound is playing (idle)

I don't need the overkill featureset of current home theatre receivers. Especially no video inputs/outputs, remote control, DSP programs, tuner, Internet connection, iPod bays, etc. A master volume would be nice though (-:

Price is not the most important point, but I hope to pay no more than $1500/EUR 1000.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Andreas

I doubt you'll find an amp with the features ou want without being bloated with the features you don't want.

The Marantz SR1502 (If I remember its model right) would fit most and is quite small though full width. Second hand: you could look at an older Teac 500 Reference av "amp" which may suit all your requirements except USB input.

Apart from those options, any of the current crop of Onkyo / Denon / Yamaha amps will do what you want (though also a lot more). Again most lack a USB unit.

My final suggestion would be a Audiolab 8000AP ad a pair of Audiolab stereo amps will exceed the audio quality of most AV Recievers, is closer to your desired features list (less feature bloat) though would probably exceed your budge unless bought second hand.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Andreas,

I hope I am not missing the mark here. For two channel use take a look at the Wadia 151 PowerDAC Mini ($1,195.00) or the Bel Canto S300iU ($1,995.00). One caveat on the Wadia is that it only has digital inputs (USB, toslink, and coax).

http://www.wadia.com/products/amplifiers/151.php

http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_S300i_Integrated_Amplifier.html

I have the Wadia 151 PowerDAC and intend to move from my current iMac to a Mac Mini as the server portion of my library.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa