IGNORED

Null test 88.2/24 and 44.1/16

9 hours ago, bachish said:

The filters used in the major professional DAWs are actually very good.

Today: yes.

In a not-so-distant past, however, the SRCs in top-dollar pro tools were less than stellar (which IMO was inexcusable, since at the top of the music production chain), and

in affordable/free DAWs often were sheer crap. There were exceptions, but the majority of tools was at least suspect.

IIRC this situation lasted up to 2007 or so, when iZotope and some of the public domain tools showed how to do things properly.

16 hours ago, mansr said:

Nobody is talking about ADCs here. You made the assertion that the filters used by DAWs such as Pyramix when exporting to CD format are somehow "bad." Maybe they are, but the discussions you've referenced are about other topics and neither support nor refute this idea.

Not really. The assertion I made back then was that many production-chain software SRCs were half-band, and thus alias. Just like many ADC chips.

(The context in which I made that assertion was NOS DACs, whose proponents claim that these do not ring. I countered this by stating that for practical recordings, made with HB ADCs or SRCs, these DACs do exhibit ringing: the ADC/SRC's.)

9 minutes ago, bachish said:

So they did have good SRC at the top of the music chain before the early 2000s, it was just more expensive than today.

Those aware of the issue and prepared to pay did, yes. The others used whatever came with ProTools or SADiE or Pyramix.