IGNORED

Fluke for FLAC

cosmuk

• 2 weeks later...

Strange, on their website is says that only 16/44.1 plays fine. Are you sure you are getting bit-perfect output with your hires files?

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Fluke only supports 16/44.1.

Wavelength Silver Crimson/Denominator USB DAC, Levinson 32/33H, Synergistic Research Cables and AC cables, Shunyata Hydra V-Ray II with King Cobra CX cable, Wilson Sasha WP speakers with Wilson Watch Dog Sub. Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable/ Grahm Phantom/Koetsu Jade Platinum. MacBook Pro 17\" 2.3GHz Quad Core i7, 8GB RAM, Pure Music, Decibel, Fidelia, AudioQuest Diamond USB Cable.

I don't use iTunes to play the FLAC files, I use the playlist mode of Amarra through the iTunes interface.

I posted a comment to Dmitry.

You can access your FLAC files through the iTunes interface or map to the file's location.

It's a huge benefit not to recode.

The quality is superior.

I hope someday, Apple incorporates this natively in iTunes.

@cosmuk...

There may be benefits of not recoding FLAC before playback, but recoding to AIFF (or ALAC) will not result in loss of quality.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

From now on, whatever codec I start with, I will (try to) not re-encode.

Between the AIFF files that I converted from the native FLAC files and the FLAC files themselves, I hear a huge difference.

I recently did a lecture and demonstration demoing the FLAC versus the converted AIFF files, whereas everyone agreed the way to go was "use the native file codec".

My feeling is, if given a choice, never compress.

"I recently did a lecture and demonstration demoing the FLAC versus the converted AIFF files, whereas everyone agreed the way to go was "use the native file codec".

My feeling is, if given a choice, never compress."

Sorry but those two sentences don't make sense together.

FLAC is a compressed format (all be it Lossless compression).

AIFF is an uncompressed format.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I don't find the whole FLAC vs AIFF confusing ... I find your statements confusing cosmuk.

You are claiming a loss of quality when converting from FLAC to AIFF and that just isn't true. Converting from FLAC to AIFF is a perfect process - you can start with a AIFF (uncompressed file), convert to FLAC and back to AIFF and the initial and final file will be identical.

You can choose not to convert from FLAC and use Amarra to play the files, but to say you don't convert from FLAC to AIFF because of loss of quality gives wrong information to others on the forum who may be just learning.

"Don't [use] compress[ion]" is a fine mantra and one that many people follow. However this is incompatible with your statement that FLAC is best as FLAC is a compressed format.

Edit: sorry I put a sentence that reading back was rather patronising.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Don't convert anything, if you don't have to, this is the mantra.

If you have the option to download a compressed versus an uncompressed format,

download the uncompressed format.

Then find 25 other people to tell you, your not crazy.

We are not really discussing FLAC versus AIFF. I think Cozmuk is saying if you play the native format of wherever you got the music it will sound better. So if you downloaded an AIFF, keep it AIFF. If you downloaded FLAC, keep it FLAC. In other words, don't mess with converting if you don't have to. The reality is many of us have to. I am not one to sweat FLAC versus AIFF versus ALAC or WAV. I have mostly AIFF.

I am trying the suggestion to play a CD natively (in it's orginal .Wav files I guess), by loading the tracks to the Amarra Mini 2.1's playlist feature via Finder from the CD on the desktop instead of from Itunes. I am not sure if it is better than the same tracks ripped from the same CD to AIFF. I am not saying one way or another. I don't have the ears or the system to tell. I will say the playlist feature in Amarra does sound better than not using this feature.

Don't convert anything, if you don't have to, this is the mantra.

If you have the option to download a compressed versus an uncompressed format, download the uncompressed format.

Then find 25 other people to tell you, your not crazy.

and

Try mounting a CD on your desktop then use Amarra's play-list

to add the files. The results are stunning.

Okay, now I understand what you are saying. I don't necessarily agree (as I say FLAC to AIFF conversion is perfect) but I do understand.

Of course in the first comment, 100 people (non-audiophiles) will tell you you are crazy ... but then this is a crazy world we're listening to. :-) I agree that where possible it's best to not compress.

Eloise

Eloise

---

Rather than arguing the merits of FLAC vs. AIFF back to the original topic of Fluke.

Lars said... "Fluke only supports 16/44.1."

That is true, Fluke will only playback 16/44.1 (and 48?) but in this situation Fluke is only being used to allow iTunes to read the metadata for management, etc. - the actual FLAC file is being played by Amarra which can read higher resolution FLAC files.

Eloise

Eloise

---

OK, thanks Eloise--now I get it. I had given up on this thread ... ;-) Good trick. Nice to know.

However, I'm still uncertain whether FLAC or AIFF sounded better in cosmuk's experience? In my system, WAV files converted from FLAC sound better than the original FLAC files, although after I set the decoding to take place in the Sq.server SW, i.e. in the netbook that runs the Sq.server, rather than in the Duet receiver itself, I'm not so sure anymore. Have you compared ALAC to AIFF files, Eloise? I seem to remember that Art Dudley in Stereophile also found AIFF files to sound better than ALAC files ...

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I am new to this...so far have downloaded tracks from HDTracks.com in FLAC and converted them to ALAC using Max for playback in Itunes. I downloaded Fluke ver 0.11 for Tiger / PPC....but after running it and opening Itunes, it does not import the FLAC files. Not sure if I am getting this right..any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Macbook Pro 13\" SSD with OS X Lion/Amarra 2.3/Itunes with ALAC files on Lacie 1TB HDD-->Oyaide NEO d+ Firewire-->Weiss DAC202-->Chord Anthem 2 XLR Interconnects-->PMC TB2S-AII Active Monitors on damped stands (Ipad Remote using Remote 2.0) Other Sources : OPPO DV-980H for DVD-A & SACD-->Chord Indigo Plus RCA Co-axial-->Weiss DAC202[br]Weiss DAC202 headphone o/p-->Sennheiser RS140 wireless headphones /Grado SR-325s Apple iPod Classic 160GB-->Audioengine Wireless Transmitter W2-->Wireless Receiver-->Audioquest Analog RCA 1to2-->Gefen Analog RCA to Digital Optical Converter-->Chord Optichord-->Weiss DAC202 All equipment on Foundation Audio Modular Racks[br]All mains Chord Power cords and QED Qonduit Mains Distribution

• 2 weeks later...

Given my old system is PPC/Tiger OSX, itunes is ver 9 not 10. Yes, i tired to manually select the file to add to Itunes.

Macbook Pro 13\" SSD with OS X Lion/Amarra 2.3/Itunes with ALAC files on Lacie 1TB HDD-->Oyaide NEO d+ Firewire-->Weiss DAC202-->Chord Anthem 2 XLR Interconnects-->PMC TB2S-AII Active Monitors on damped stands (Ipad Remote using Remote 2.0) Other Sources : OPPO DV-980H for DVD-A & SACD-->Chord Indigo Plus RCA Co-axial-->Weiss DAC202[br]Weiss DAC202 headphone o/p-->Sennheiser RS140 wireless headphones /Grado SR-325s Apple iPod Classic 160GB-->Audioengine Wireless Transmitter W2-->Wireless Receiver-->Audioquest Analog RCA 1to2-->Gefen Analog RCA to Digital Optical Converter-->Chord Optichord-->Weiss DAC202 All equipment on Foundation Audio Modular Racks[br]All mains Chord Power cords and QED Qonduit Mains Distribution

• 4 weeks later...

I so need to catch up on my reading... Never heard / noticed Fluke before..

I have a huge Flac collection and run Pure Music. I also read elsewhere on CA that PM plays flac..? Is that correct & is the way to go the same as Eloise explained for Amarra (Fluke to board it in iTunes library, PM engine to play..?)

Also, in theory, would memory play in PM (with flac to flat pcm decoding happening before that) mitigate any difference incompressed vs flat pcm playback..?

Sorry for 2nd question being a bit off-topic..

Hans

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System