IGNORED

Article: Should You Rent or Buy Audio Software?

Chris, I don't think you have given sufficient emphasis to the free options. You appear to be saying "Oh by the way there's some free software" , mention a few names and leave it at that.

I do all my listening using free software. All Windows based; foobar2000  as renderer, MinimServer as server, Linn Kazoo as control point .

Foobar has plugins for SACD ISO, DSD playback & ASIO. MinimServer just works and has in-depth forum support from its author. I think Linn would like to think that Kazoo is only used with their expensive gear but it's substantially based on open source software so is free.

edit Oops! I forgot the very wonderful BubbleUPnP server helper (also free & authored by the same person who does a UPnP plugin for foobar)

" The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance--it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel.J.Boorstin

9 hours ago, firedog said:

Lots of people would rather buy something that "just works" from the moment you install it. 

What software (Windows 7) would you suggest that does upsampling, DSD & UPnP?

The basic UI is pretty terrible and requires a fair amount of tweaking to get it to the point that most users find acceptable. 

Hence the server software and control point (all running on the same PC). Initially I found it painfully easy to crib someone else's configuration (which are widely available online) and go from there

I find it interesting how people who are good at  using such programs have little understanding that a getting program like Foobar to do all those things is overwhelming for many.

I probably have an equal understanding of this. Frankly I don't care as long as I understand how to do something. I would not consider myself as "good". On a personal note I found jRiver perplexing at best & irritating at worst. I am pretty sure I could talk the dumbest of my acquaitances though setting up foobar on the phone (does that make me "good"??)

" The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance--it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel.J.Boorstin