IGNORED

Article: Calibrating My Ears at the San Francisco Symphony

Nice write up.  I recently heard the LSO and know exactly what you are referring to in live orchestral performance.

And while I agree that our systems can't reproduce that sound, they sometimes can come close enough - after all, I don't really want a symphony orchestra in my home - or even a string quartet, for that matter. 

One of the reasons I upgraded to the system I now own is that it comes much closer to giving me the dynamics and spatial illusion of listening to a symphony orchestra than my previous one could, especially in my small listening room. On well made dynamic recordings it can make me jump out of my seat sometimes.  I'd imagine that if I had the space and the funds,  I could come even closer to a good illusion. Not the real thing, but  a very nice illusion. 

I wouldn't be surprised if in the not distant future we will be able to use DSP and psychoacoustics to make a "virtual reality"  playback that is good enough to fool us into thinking we are hearing the real thing. Enough cues, and our brains will fill in the rest. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I know that some theaters/performance halls are using acoustic paneling and DSP to ensure that everyone in the theater hears the same thing at the same time: in other words, mics to DSP to multiple speakers all around the hall, and DSP and paneling being used to make sure each audience member hears the same thing at the same time.

I also know that some of the new symphony halls have various "movable" acoustic panels/ceilings in order to alter the sound of the hall depending on the piece and size of the ensemble being used. 

I wonder if any orchestra has contemplated doing something similar with DSP and classical?

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1 hour ago, RichardSF said:

It's been happening for many years, including some premier classical venues. Here's an article from 1999:

https://www.nytimes.com/1999/08/18/theater/enhancing-sound-in-a-hush-hush-way.html

Thanks for that. The 20 year old article is doubly interesting as classical afficianados have often told me it hasn't and won't happen to classical performances, and apparently many have been listening to it all along.