IGNORED

LPSU Choices?

18 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

....total = 23

You'll need less than half the rails you quoted most atx supplies have a single 12v, 5V & 3,3V which are split up to power the board and components. Its handy to have the extra 12V rail solely for the processor ( the 8 pin connector) seperate 5v rails for your ssd's and one for the optical drive, plus one for your 12S card. You are looking at 8 - 10 rails. Try Sean Jacobs at custom HiFi cables. He designs and make the supplies for Innuos. Or look at The linear solution. For a tighter budget HDplex will outperform your Seasonic. Its not just the measurements but choice of components, transformers, regulators, resistors, capacitors, etc have a sonic input HDplex use components chosen for audio. I think they have also started using LT3045's in their supplies, but you'll need to check that with them.

3 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

On 7/16/2018 at 5:21 AM, sandyk said:  

You do need  a Linear PSU that has noise levels WAY below that of a HDPlex for best results.

I think they are about to upgrade their supplies with LT3045's it may be worth investigating that. 

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

Don't I need to worry about that in the 3.3/5/12v ONLY scenario? Doesn't it apply? Thanks!

You would connect the power good line to the 5V. This tricks the motherboard to thinkings its connected to an ATX supply, it should boot. Usually there is a short delay in the power good signal 200 - 500ms. If the motherboard does not boot the you can install a cheap delay timer off ebay or there are other methods. In most cases though it should boot.

You need 3 rails 3.3V, 5V and 12V plus your CPU rail 12V. The High current rail will be the CPU rail. The rest can be low current 1.5amp to 5 amp depends on your motherboard. Also you would run your SSD separately with its own 5V rail so ideally a supply with 5 rails.

2 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

thanks. I need to address this further with you later on if that's ok? take care.

would this be ok: this ? 

I think I mentioned this supply somewhere earlier. It has 2 high quality LT3045 rails @ 2amps each. You can use 1 to power your SSD the second if you have a quality PCIE USB card or similar that can be powered externally. The 19V 10 amp rail can be used to power a HDplex DC to DC converter ( a high quality PICO ) for the 24 pin motherboard ATX connecter. The 12V - 10 amp rail to power the CPU seperately via the second ATX connector ( 4/6/8) pin.

A few users here are using the HDplex 'Pico' on high end systems, I wouldn't worry too much about the 70mv ripple, the voltages are broken down further by the motherboards poor quality and 'very noisy' regulators. using the 19v rail with the Pico is a way to utilize the HDPlex you mentioned, you will need approximately 5amp for the 5v on your board so it will not work with the LT3045 rails.

A good quality supply starts from the Toroid or Rcore in the case of the HDPlex. A low impedance and it ability to respond quickly to load demands, transients, dynamics, throughout the frequency band. Then choice of quality components, whilst they may measure the same does not mean resistors, capacitors,  will sound the same. The lowest noise regulators may not sound as good as one with a slightly higher measerement, its about listening as well as measurements. Concentrate your best components  (LT3045 etc) for the outputs eg. your Pink Faun card, Hard discs, etc.

If you want to go the full ATX route then you would be looking at a custom build which can be expensive or a collection of smaller Linear supplies.

Moving onto the ATX pin diagram remember this is looking onto the motherboard or the underside of the connector (the pins) that pop onto that.

An easy way to connect up and also for testing is to use an ATX extension cable and cut off the male end.

We don't need the 2 negative voltages pins 14 & 20. We don't need pin 16 (PS On) you cant switch the supply on or off from the motherboard. Connect the orange, 3.3V together. Similarly the red, 5V and yellow, 12V. The black, Ground is common on the motherboard.

Connect the grey pin 8 (power OK) and purple pin 9 (5V standby) with the 5V (red wires)

Similar principle to the CPU ATX connector, bunch the yellow 12V wires together and same to Ground.

It should then boot up.

OK, leaving out the 'PICO' the HDPlex would be more useful with 2 x 12V instead of 19V + 12V, I dont know if it could be supplied that way. That would cover the 2 x12V rails, leaving the 2x LT3045 rails. You could use one for the 3.3V the other preferably for your I2S PCIE card. That would leave the 5V rail which you could power temporarily from your current ATX supply.

1 hour ago, the_doc735 said:

Is there an upgrade for those regulators? e.g. paul hynes?

Apparently, supermicro can bypass these on their mobo's somehow? i.e. zenith SE.

Not really, but feeding them with a good quality supply helps to lower the noise floor.

The zenith SE uses a standard Pico,(noisier than the HDPLex) but this is fed from a quality supply by Sean Jacobs. But they also feed the CPU rail direct with a seperate 12V rail and the SSD with a 3rd rail, that's where the benefit is.