IGNORED

Blu-ray Audio - Curious

2 hours ago, Fitzcaraldo215 said:

The Decca BD remaster of the Solti Ring is at 48k/24.  I do not know what other Decca or DG BD remasters used, but I suspect they are the same. It is the most common audio format on BD.

i have had the LPs since 1980, listened to many times, and I have the first of two CD remasters of the Solti Ring.  Believe me, it has never sounded better than the BD or its equivalent download at 48k/24.  Many find it to sound even better than the very pricey, limited release Esoteric SACD remaster.  And, the entire Decca Ring fits on one BD, but with the need for opera/chapter navigation via a monitor.  The download, of course, avoids that.

Likely, it is the remastering effort rather than the format that has improved the sound. There were numerous complaints about the sound quality of each of the two prior Decca remasters to CD.  My understanding is also that the original analog tapes were unusable, and that the BD remaster was made from the same digital transfers used for the two earlier CD remasters.  But, the results are outstanding.

Great to know.  For $60 for the entire Solti Ring is amazing.  I had heard about the problems with the master tapes, which I understand were worn out with use.  Back in the late '70's Decca developed their own digital recording system, (I interviewed Tony Griffiths who invented the Decca digital recording system, adapting it from a video recorder). It was 48K rather than the Sony 44K, though 16bits and not 24.  Tony told me they had a big fight with Sony and Philips (Philips/Polygram bought Decca in 1980) to keep the 16 bits, while Sony and Philips thought 14 bits was enough.  After the merger, Decca provided Philips with copies of the Decca machines so they could make the masters of the Decca digital files and press the vinyl in Baarn, Holland after Polygram closed the big UK Decca pressing plant.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files