IGNORED

Addons, i.e. regen, reclock, isolate - are they needed?

I listen to vinyl about 50% of the time and digital from my computer (iMac 27") 50% of the time. For something like 8 years I've used a Benchmark Dac1 USB for all my digital listening. Probably 10 years ago I took all my CDs and using iTunes made ALAC copies of them - 720 in all. I've stored the CDs in the attic and listen to them from the computer. I use Audirvana Pro for my software.

I like Tidal, especially Masters with MQA (don't start please). Recently, to try something new I bought a Meridian Explorer2 and then replaced that with the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Dac. I like the Pre Box better than the Exp2 but I'm not sure yet about it being as good or better than the Benchmark.

So, I'm reading up on everything and contemplating a new Dac to be my main digital source. But confusing the situation I see LOTs of folks and lots of reviewers say how necessary it is to get one or two or even three addons to improve the USB signal from the computer. Then I see measurements and reports and reviews saying just the opposite. And, it's true that I've seen my share of addons that are worthless in my 50+ years of audio experience ( I built my first stereo system in 1962, literally, built it from Olsen Electronics parts).

Before going for a whole new dac I was thinking of one of the addons - like iFi Micro or similar. Or maybe go with the whole SoTM 200 kind of network device. Are these addons a must to consider before even thinking of a new dac... or is it just a fad if you've got a good dac in the first place?

PS. I'm not sure if I'd ever get rid of the Benchmark. It seems like one of those statement pieces you hang on to for a long time. But I may add another ~$2000 dac. Sometimes I wish I still had my Ack! Dac!. Anyway, I'm digressing.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3

2 hours ago, 4est said:

something like the Uptone Regen might help if for no other reason than it replaces the USB input power.

But the Benchmark doesn't use the USB power, it has it's own power supply.

Thanks all for the responses. I see they are exactly as I've seen previously - a mixture of addons are good AND addons don't do much/anything. I just wanted to know the opinions of the CA group. I thought many here were "addon positive" but see that there are others here not so inclined.

My two current DACs (Pre Box S2 and Benchmark) are on the lean, brighter and analytical side. I'm keeping myself open to warmer sounding Dacs as I study this more. The Holo Audio Spring DAC comes to mind. And maybe the Yggdrasil?

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers

3 minutes ago, semente said:

Which speakers are you using?

Valve amplification?

Well, when I tell you you'll point out that I was looking for more warmth and my system isn't really known for warmth to begin with. My amp is the Musical Fidelity A5 and my speakers are B&W CM6s.

I should explain that the warmth I'm looking for is really something smoother and less analytical sounding for digital to better match my vinyl setup (VPI Classic 1 TT/Dynavector 20X2L, EAR 834P phonostage, Bob's Devices Stepup).

I'm not looking to go all the way to warm sounding amps and speakers.

Glad the pissing match is over. Thanks.

I've tried Toslink and didn't find it an improvement in my experience. YMMV.

Actually, I should have stated that I don't have a problem, per se, with the sound I'm getting in general. I just find it a bit more forward or analytical that I like from my vinyl setup. But I would classify it as pretty good right now.

I'm just trying to decide "where" to go for the next level. Especially in the light of the age of my DAC.

For USB I used a 12' USB cable that was better than run of the mill. Nothing special really.

For Toslink I used a GLASS cable about 3' long.

Toslink wasn't bad - it just wasn't better and didn't support as many features. So, it wasn't an improvement.

The computer is a mid-2011 iMac 27" with one of those silly mini-plug/toslink ports that uses a plastic adapter.

Looking at my computer specs I don't see it now - and it's been a while - but my memory was that Toslink only supported 96k resolution on my iMac.

As a side note, I've read a number of times that jitter is more of an issue with Toslink.

Regardless, it didn't do anything great on my system.

While these guys are going on and on, back to my original topic:

So, with everyone saying to try toslink I decided why not. So I'm trying it again.

As I remembered, my "Audio Midi" setup in the Mac OS High Siera 10.13.4 shows 24/48 as the highest output for optical. There are higher resolutions on the menu, but I can't select anything but 24/48.

I thought I read earlier that that's what Mac OS says but it will actually feed the dac higher resolutions. Is that so?

I double checked and since my iMac is a 2011 it seems it does not support higher resolutions via Toslink. Darn. I guess there is a reason toslink don't sound as good as USB when I tested it previously.