IGNORED

Addons, i.e. regen, reclock, isolate - are they needed?

3 hours ago, 4est said:

Having owned the BM DAC1 for a couple of years when they first came out and also owning NOS DACs similar to the Ack, as Mansr suggested, there might be little difference with many of these add on devices with the BM. The BM resamples everything on input which helps poor sources, but holds back better ones.

Update. Not well known is BM DAC2 series (prob. DAC3 to) not use ASRC for USB input only.

2 hours ago, 4est said:

The BM ASRC is supposed to negate any/all differences in it's inputs. It didn't IME with my BM. Even cables made a difference, but the BM always retained its "house sound". Love it or hate it, there is different

"House sound" you hear is of DAC1 series. Lived with two BM DAC1s, now have DAC2 with (USB in) different, better sound. Happy to stop rolling DACs now.

Maybe non-ASRC is difference, maybe other ?

And responsive to USB add-ons also.

5 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

”The DAC2,

All inputs are fully isolated from interface jitter by Benchmark's new UltraLock2™ jitter attenuation system.”

UltraLock2™ is 211khz ASRC for DAC2 series (think DAC3 also 211khz). UltraLock™ was 111khz ASRC for DAC1 series. BM make marketing speak confusing & distracting even in products Instruction Manuals. Never once see industry term "ASRC" in any BM DAC manual I read.

“All inputs are fully isolated from interface jitter by Benchmark's new UltraLock3™ jitter attenuation system.”

Both statements say All dac inputs use ASRC, but I see official page on BM site by John Siau say no UltraLock2/ASRC on USB input. So BM marketspeak, even in official documents not trustworthy ?

Properly engineered, eh? 

Is John Siau Marketing Engineer, like Amar Bose ? ?