IGNORED

Article: EMM Labs DA2 Reference DAC and PRE Stereo Preamplifier Review

6 hours ago, michael123 said:

CASH means it needs a lot of cash? ?

EMM sounds good, but.. there are millions of options today. 

Like Rossini...

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

2 hours ago, bellhead said:

I have a DAVE for my desktop system and an EMM XDS1v2 for my old-school CD-based system. Somehow, I still like the EMM player better. There is more non-fatiguing sweetness and silkiness and more transparent bass and a sense of a more natural sound with more definition of texture. And the bass is more detailed.

I used to own a XDS1v2. Although I enjoyed the sound, in hindsight I find it a little on the analytical side. And I don't have a bright system by any measure (single ended tubes into horn speakers).

I moved to a dCS Rossini + Master Clock and the sound acquired a lovely body and tone that was missing from the EMM Labs. 

I also had customer support issues with EMM so will never consider an EMM Labs component again.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

58 minutes ago, bellhead said:

Thank you. Would you have any quick impressions of the Rossini with DSD-encoded files? (I have .dsf files.)

Thank you.

Fabulous. Two examples I know very well: Nina Simone’s “Mood Indigo” from the recent SACD remaster from Analogue Productions, and Brubeck’s Time Out SACD (both ripped to DSF via a PS3). Very nice on the XDS1v2. Stunning depth, tone, color, presence on the Rossini. Not close.

system pics

10 hours ago, bellhead said:

I have a DAVE for my desktop system and an EMM XDS1v2 for my old-school CD-based system. Somehow, I still like the EMM player better.

Play Rehab from Amy Winehouse's Back To Black from the 24/96 HDTracks download on the XDS1v2. You will find dropouts. One of many examples. Does not happen with ANY other DAC I have tried. Do you really want to buy EMM Labs?

system pics

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, EMM Labs said:

We're sorry to hear that the XDS1 V2 made an exit before you had the chance to upgrade to V3 analog architecture... To date it has been a game changer for countless XDS1 customers who continue to enjoy the integrated player, even after almost a decade since release. That said, we respect the saying "different strokes for different folks" so we very are happy for you and your system :)

Given the customer support issues - which went beyond lack of customer support - I will never consider any EMM Labs product again. 

system pics