IGNORED

Most Efficient Way to Maintain Up-To-Date Backup?

I have nearly filled my 1-TB external hard drive with music and my library is growing fast.

The only partial backup I have is my original hard drive that was replaced by the 1-TB drive, but it is only 500 GB, so it only contains half of my current library. I want to back up my current library and keep the backup current. What are you "guys" doing to back up your libraries larger than 1-TB?

Thanks,

Ben

Whatever you do, be quick about it. Ripping 500 gb of data takes a lot of time and everyone's time is worth more than the < $100.00 of disc drive it would take to buy as a backup.

You can currently buy a 1.5 TB Seagate USB drive at Fry's for $89.00, for example.

How to most efficiently backup without making mistakes, minimizing hassle, not forgetting is a whole 'nother issue that has been discussed many times on this website. Search the website under "backup" for many ideas, work flows, etc.

Once the original library is copied to a backup hard drive, how do you sync the two (the original hard drive and the backup hard drive); do I need a program to accomplish this, or is this a simple function (i.e.: synchronizing changes, additions, new music, etc.)?

That's the hard part

Personally, I let the computer and my player software do the organization.

On day 1 all music folders were backed up

Therafter I put any new rips into a "current" folder. I only back it up as everything else is already backed up.

At some point, I create a new "current" folder and use it for new rips. I then only back it up (and no longer create new backups of the previous "current" folder). Backing up is merely copying the "current" folder to its backup destination.

My player software allows an infinte number of directories as source. In practice, I have 5 NAS drives and about 20 folders.

My strategy lets the player software do the organization re: who, when what, etc. I do not try to keep all jazz in one folder, for example, as I think that at some point you run out of space in the folder. Much music may not be easily identifiable as to where it ought to go (IMO) and thus it needs a more complex organization that is easily done by the player software (but not my me trying to use a certain folder). I let the software deal with multiple artists on same albums, multiple pieces on same classical albums, etc

I also move the backup "off site" for safety.

This works for me.