IGNORED

Consensus about upsampling to 512 DSD

I have tried upsampling to DSD on my own system using HQPlayer.  Like some others, I found this to be nominally pleasant to listen to, but there is some "softening" of the bass and an apparent reduction in dynamics.

On a number of occasions, I have also heard upsampling to DSD using a dCS Upsampler.  This was a very different story, the end result being highly engaging, no loss of dynamics or bass impact.  In fact, dynamics were exceptional.

So it would appear that for me the benefit of DSD upsampling is dependant on the kit used and the exact implementation, but in general terms, I do not even have a consensus with myself, let alone anyone else.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

29 minutes ago, Miska said:

IIRC, dCS does only up to DSD64 which is quite different story than DSD512.

Are you are talking about your Devialet? It converts DSD inputs to PCM in a not so great way (like Chord too), so it is better to just send PCM to these.

But anyway the results certainly also depend on the DAC in question. Same as for PCM inputs too. For example I have two different discrete R2R PCM ladder DACs. One of these sounds flat and dull while the other one sounds good (and yes, they also measure very differently).

For example, try DSD512 with T+A DAC8 DSD or Holo Audio Spring DAC. Or even something much cheaper like iFi micro iDSD BL or Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital.

Yes, fair points.  So for clarity.

I have heard the dCS Upsampler with a Devialet D800.  This was running DSD64 and using Devialet's "MAT" algorithm.  This sounded very good indeed.  The Devialet's internal architecture (ADH) is essentially PCM, but this configuration did at least demonstrate to me that DSD64 can work well with a Devialet.  Surprisingly well, considering that this does not appear to be a particularly elegant solution technically.

In my own system, I have managed to run DSD256.  In this case the DSD is being fed to a Mutec MC3+USB, which converts to and outputs PCM.  So not the best implementation.  For the record, the best I have ever heard my own rig is running HQPlayer upsampling to PCM192 to the Devialet's AES/EBU input, this is basically Devialet's preferred native format, the Devialet will upsample lower PCM rates to 192kHz..

I have also listened to the dCS One and the full dCS rig with DAG amps.  This was running 16/44.1 upsampling to DSD128.  In both cases, the end result was good.  (although I have serious doubts regarding value for money)

One thing I have never tried on my own system is running HQPlayer upsampling to DSD64, which I could feed to the Devialet via USB and hence use Devialet's MAT algorithm.  When I get some time I will try this, who knows, it might just be superb and a match for that dCS upsampler.  It would also be £16k cheaper than the dCS upsampler!

What I suspect we can agree on is that the exact implementation in specific systems is very important, and that generalisations are often completely meaningless, which I think was the essence of my earlier point.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.