IGNORED

Article: NAD VISO HP50 with Roomfeel Headphone Review

Thanks for the review!  These are one of three pairs of headphones that I own.  I've had some cheap Denon AH-D1000 (around $100 when I purchased them) for years now, then last year on Black Friday I bought KEF's M400 on-ear headphones for $79 (MSRP was $250, I think).  Back in May, after reading reviews of headphones on Innerfidelity (prompted by posts here at CA about that site, and the retirement of Tyll), I looked at the NAD VISO HP50 on Amazon and purchased them for $180.

I only use headphones with my computer, either using FLAC files ripped from my CD collection, or to listen to music on Spotify.  With my cheapie SMSL iDEA, I prefer the KEF M400.  They and the NAD have a similar "speaker-like" presentation in my view, but the NAD are darker sounding with some of my favorite opera singers' voices, and the dynamic range is not as wide as the KEF.  The fit is excellent for my head and ears, and I prefer them physically to the on-ear and somewhat awkward KEF M400.  It could be that the NAD need "break-in," although I have not ever noticed any change in the KEF, they sounded open and warm and dynamic right out of the box.  Or I suppose it may be a mismatch between the NAD and the SMSL iDEA.  The Denon headphones are quite bright compared to both the NAD and the KEF, and while they present a vocalist further away than either the KEF or NAD, they don't put a slightly dark "veil" over the voice like the NAD headphones do.   I'm not really sure what's going on, as it is only with certain voices, a few very rich female voices, Leontyne Price, Anna Moffo, and Rita Gorr.  Disturbing, as Leontyne Price is my favorite singer of all, and my main reason for living!  I don't really notice the issue with other singers, nor with any pop or rock music at all.

At any rate, I kept them as I don't believe there is an actual "defect" in the headphones themselves, and I personally don't believe returns should be allowed on anything worn intimately, like headphones on ears (ear wax or skin oils on earpads?  Yuck!), or underwear and swimsuits! haha  Also, they are comfortable and stay firmly in place on my head, so they will be useful if I ever take another plane trip or for listening to symphonic or pop music, where they sound quite wonderful.  It looks like KEF is done with production of the M400, so I don't want to risk damage to those on a trip or whatever!

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

13 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

Ditto ;)

Loved her since I was a child and missed singing with her only by a year or two :/ One of my favorite memories was getting to meet her and get her autograph (the ONLY autograph I ever bothered to collect) backstage after a recital here in Dallas.  Still remember that beautiful smile and her husky Southern accent, "Thank you for coming". LOL.

I only saw her once in concert, at Detroit's Orchestra Hall, September 18th, 1988.  I met her afterward, and nearly passed out as she took my hands in both of hers.  When I managed to speak, I told her that my life changed forever when I heard her for the first time, singing the Letter Scene from Tchaikovsky's Evgeny Onyegin.  She pulled me close and sang a few phrases from the aria softly in my ear.  I nearly fainted again.  ❤️   That was the greatest moment of my life.  Her presence was overwhelming.  She said it was "flattering to have such a handsome young man swoon" over her, and while I never considered myself remotely handsome, it was certainly gracious of her to say such a thing.  Perhaps she saw my love for her, or saw something in my soul (if there is such a thing as a soul).

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子