IGNORED

High powered integrated amp recommendations

2 hours ago, shtf said:

As for the OP, if Class D is on their list of contenders and they should, then Class D mono-blocks plus superior passive and bi-directional filtering line conditioners is the only work around.  And if the Class D mono-blocks amps are high-powered, then a passive volume attenuator at the source is all that's necessary to produce a potentially very musical and still quite dynamic playback presentation.

Thank you for the insights of digital amplification.  I actually made my choice, which was quite traditional.  Would be hard pressed to get this performance out of most integrateds.  

http://www.linnenberg-audio.de/html/widor.html

I really didn't want an amp with a built in DAC.  My box count is the same, using a DAC with a built in volume control.  The no preamp guys got to me.  This is my last amp, I suspect.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, navrsale said:

6moons preferred linnenberg liszt to widor stating that Widor may only be mandated when having 2ohm difficult speakers.

I have heard both in my system. I am not sure that I would say that I heard a whole lot of difference, even though my speakers might suggest otherwise.  Nevertheless, I never have to worry about loading with the Wydor.

Nothing thick sounding about the Wydor.  

2 hours ago, navrsale said:

did you compare with Devialet Expert Pro line?

Nope.  I tried to get an audition back when I was using Pass gear, and no dealer wanted to send me anything to compare.  I gave up on Devialet after that.

39 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Have you considered the Parasound Integrated? Recently upgraded, it has a John Curl designed power amplifier section. Sounds mighty good.

Thanks.  I am set with the Linnenberg equipment, likely for one of our lives, mine or the amp's.  It sits in the super amp territory, at least as far as my price points go.  Lateral mosfet with current.  High bandwidth.  Sort of like getting a hand made German version of the Swiss audio experience.  

Now I am actually starting to look a bit into audiophile cabling to go with it and the Innuos.  You know, don't want to choke the performance sort of thing.  

I wonder if there is any advantage to using a certain type of cabling with a high bandwidth design?  Probably not, but I will try Google anyway.

17 hours ago, sfseay said:

That is the first time I have heard the 585 as sounding dark.  I guess you haven’t heard it or you wouldn’t say that.  I own a 585 and it is far from dark sounding.  Nobody would pay over $10,000.00 for a dark sounding integrated.  Very neutral sounding integrated.  

It sounds so good I’m selling my beloved Pass Labs INT-30A.

I used to own an INT 30A, but upgraded.  One of the few amps I actually miss.  It really had a wonderful sound that I haven't quite heard in the newer stuff.

1 hour ago, Ajax said:

Hi Kimo,

I’m wondering what you don’t like about Devialet gear.

My Devialet 200 is my favourite piece of equipment for both sound quality and features - internal DAC, Pre/Power Amps, active crossover with both frequency and time delay, upgradeable firmware, streamer, flexible inputs...

We all like what we like so not challenging your decision just interested in your reasoning.

I couldn't get an audition when I had the Pass gear, so I didn't even consider Devialet this time around.  I also didn't want an internal DAC with the integrated.  This led me down the path of just getting a DAC/Preamp combo and a power amp.

I don't believe too many integrateds would provide the same power/current/SNR as the amp I decided upon.

16 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Your speakers might require a certain type of cable to sound their best, and then again they might not. Ask the speaker’s manufacturer. They have the best chance of knowing whether the speakers require a certain brand or model of speaker cable or whether they’re happy with 14 gauge zip cord. Chances are, you’ll not find it on your own. There are too many brands for you to stumble on the right one accidentally.

On the other hand, all coaxial cable interconnects have several orders of magnitude more bandwidth than audio requires, so don’t worry about that. As for different brands of interconnects sounding different, there is no scientific evidence that there is any reason for different coaxial interconnects to have any sound of their own. Many here will tell you that all interconnects sound different, and under certain listening conditions they can “sound different”, but laws of physics, as they apply to conductors, which is what interconnects are, say that such differences are impossible. My experience with wire as well as my engineering background, tell me that when people say that they hear a difference with different interconnects, it only exists in their imagination, and is the result of expectational and outcome-based bias. They expect that an expensive cable must sound better than a cheap one and their imagination makes sure that it does!

If a cable actually does sound different than another make or model, it is because one cable or both have been engineered to attenuate some portion of the audio spectrum to purposely be different from the competition. Cable is passive. It can only subtract information from the signal it’s passing, it has no active circuitry so, by definition, it cannot add anything! Ideal ones do not alter the signal they’re passing AT ALL. What you want is a cable that’s honestly, completely neutral. If it isn’t, in my opinion, (and by definition) it’s subtracting something from the signal that it’s supposed to be passing, unchanged and that’s not it’s purpose. Again, buying expensive, so called “boutique” interconnects is a waste of money. Again, I council you to buy well made cables made with quality coax such as RG-59 and forget the expensive spread! In the long run you’ll be happier for it.

Many here will tell you that I am wrong and that interconnects between components are crucial. Well, that’s their opinion, and they are certainly entitled to it. I have science on my side and a master’s degree in electronics engineering; plus I worked in the cable specifying, testing and measuring division of a large aerospace corporation for years, and I know what I’m talking about. Compare this to others here. Guys and gals who are mostly really nice and helpful people, but who are naive audiophiles whose opinions are formed solely from what they think they hear.

Above all, make up your own mind, just be mindful of both sides of the issue.

Thank you for the insights.

I currently use Apogee, Mogami, and Pass Labs cable in the system, along with a Belkin Gold USB cable,.  I have had many pass through over the years; Audience, Auditorium 23, Mapleshade, Cardas, Audioquest, Kimber, etc.  

I was more concerned about issues with the wide bandwidth amplifier and ultrasonic noise.  I looked around the web and found a little discussion and some warnings regarding extra shielding, etc.  

12 minutes ago, navrsale said:

Can you elaborate on warranty if buying from Japan for $6k?

I don't think that you get one.  Need to buy from an authorized dealer, which is the benefit of a USA purchase for sure.  I still won't pay that sort of bump to import.  

12 minutes ago, navrsale said:

Have you considered T+A 3100HV ? Many say it beats everything out there

I did.  I read some reviews and some extra stuff on the net.  Sounds like good stuff, but an in home audition was not part of the package, so no buy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 8:13 AM, navrsale said:

What about Soulution 330 and 530? Have you considered?

Wydor and Telemann retail for same the amount as the 330.   Upgrade path for Satie is an easy one.

530 is too pricey for me.  

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Blake said:

Hi Kimo,

I know this is somewhat off-topic, but I'd be very curious about your thoughts on your FRM-2's.  Things you like, don't like or comparisons to other speakers you have owned?  If you posted a review elsewhere, could you post a link?

I will do my best to give a summary with pro and cons.

The FRM-2s are best described as a musical speaker with a very full sound and sweet highs.  The Raal tweeter rarely offends and makes many other metal drives sound harsh or closed in by comparison.  The bass is very full and fairly deep for any speaker, let alone a monitor.  The midrange is blended very well.  By comparison, my 10" Tannoys sounded more open through the midrange, leaner, more coppery if you will, with some harshness on the high end.

While the bass is very full and deep, it is not as dynamic as a larger speaker.  The treble is very sweet and clean, but perhaps not as extended as some.  I can't really find much to fault with the midrange, though some might look for a more forward sound.  The speaker is not hard to drive, provided a 4 ohm friendly amp is in use.  I have used both tubes and solid state with equally satisfying results.

Pros: Smooth and even frequency response, excellent bass, sweet treble

Cons: Not as dynamic as a larger speaker, more open sounding speakers can be found, needs enough amp for the 87db/4 ohm load

When I have compared with other speakers at the dealer, I tend to find those sounding a bit closed in and slightly harsh by comparison.