IGNORED

High powered integrated amp recommendations

• 5 months later...
12 hours ago, Kimo said:

I have not completely ruled out McIntosh, but detail is something that the Alta's love, and it is my understanding that the Macs aren't known for detail, as much as tone.

Baloney. McIntosh has done a complete revamp of their units and the sound is gorgeous and modern as you could hope for. Go listen. You'll probably walk out with a Mc amp.

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, Kimo said:

I have read a few reviews of recent units, and they still discuss the component in terms of not being detailed as other options.   

But, it really doesn't matter with them or Levinson, at least for me.  I don't plan on paying for digital facilities that I won't be using.  Looking into an audition of the Gryphon, at this point.  I have a pretty good idea of Pass sound.  The new Krell isn't out yet.  

I don't have to read reviews, I own some.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, Kimo said:

I get it.  Certainly they can be quite spotty.

I am little surprised to see McIntosh divide is so strong on both sides.  For every lover, there is a hater.

If I go this route, it will be used and DAC free.  I expect the imports will drop off,  due to the inability to actually hear a 10K amp, prior to purchase.

The problem with buying a used one, DAC free, is you will get an old one that sounds exactly like you don't want...

No electron left behind.

9 minutes ago, Kimo said:

Actually, the 8900 and 9000 seemed to be priced "reasonably" given everything included, and the Digital Module is removable and can be upgraded.

Yeah, if you can get one of those used, that would be a great deal. When you said you would get a used one, I was assuming you wanted something other than the latest model. I have a MAC7200 and could not be happier with it. I also have a D1100 and MP1100 in my main system. That's how much I like the new McIntosh sound.

No electron left behind.

5 hours ago, SJK said:

Then call me confused. You don’t care about a better sound, but you care about what?

Some obsure agenda?  

Please.  Give us some detail as to what really matters to you. 

I find this reply amusing...

Lets use an example.  Say that someone had found a way to build the best sounding integrated amplifier ever built, it sounded perfect, measured perfect, etc... The catch was it came with a certificate and a picture of the baby in some obscure western Chinese village that had been sacrificed to build it. Would you buy it? If not, then you also have criteria other than better sounding by which you would judge a piece of audio equipment. Would 2 babies make the difference?  5?

Do you see my point?

No electron left behind.