IGNORED

How much does it cost to be an audiophile?

this weekend on Craigslist, near me: Speakerlab K-horn copies, $500.  Pilot console pull, tuner/pre combo and stereo PP EL84 amp (different layout than the SA232, but looked like the same transformers and tube compliment), gone over by a tech, $400.

That's darned good sound for under a grand. Just add source. Not perfect, not for everybody, but accessible.

14 hours ago, esldude said:

Should we try for a middle ground and compare Emotiva to JVC of the 80's/90's?

Actually I'm not sure Emotiva is quite equal to Adcom gear from those days, but some of it is.  By equal I mean in its relative place in the spectrum of quality and performance for the time. Some of the Adcom gear was surprisingly good, and some was just okay.  Build was good for price I would say.  That is somewhat how I look at Emotiva.  A couple things I think are over-achievers and others okay for the price.  

I was initially quite enthusiastic about Emotiva, hoping that I could perhaps extricate myself from my vintage/DIY dumpster.  I auditioned a couple of pieces, and while they were okay and a very good value for the price, they just didn't fit what I was looking for.  

I will also agree with the earlier sentiment that the gap is closing between mid-fi and high-end. 

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

I appreciate the genteel version of it sucks...

Really, that's not what I said; I said it's okay and a good value for the $, but wasn't what I was looking for.  To add a bit, I will say that it didn't live up to the hype for me - but it might suit someone else quite well.  Different strokes and all that.  And honestly, a lot of high-end stuff isn't any better.  Trust your ears.