IGNORED

What are your "WOW" moments in audio?

14 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Did you hear them first in your home or at a show or dealer?

Are you still running them in your current setup?

At DKL Sound, a dealer in MD, which was located in an older house. The demo room was similar to my living room. After 20 years I passed them on to another Magneplanar enthusiast. Lovely midrange on the T-1D's, but they required a larger room than I could provide. I've downsized to the Kii 3.

13 minutes ago, exdmd said:

My first wow moment was also hearing the Maggie 1-D powered by Audio Research tube preamp and amp with Linn SP12 turntable back in late 70's. I bought the 1-D's on the spot.

Second was hearing a very tweaked Dahlquist DQ-10 system with subwoofer driven by absurdly expensive Stax Class A amps. I wish I could remember more details of that system. The imaging was best I have ever heard, better even than the Maggies.

At the time the Magneplanars were distributed by Audio Research and commonly were demonstrated with Audio Research components. I think Winey the founder of Magnepan used AR gear in the development of the Tympanis. To me the breadth of the soundstage and clarity of the midrange was the most impressive feature, not so much the pinpoint imaging which I suspect is difficult to obtain with large panels. Nevertheless, they served me well for 20 years and I parted with them with no small measure of regret.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, miguelito said:

Funny you mentioned... I applied to grad school right after the SCSC fell through, and most schools cut their intake by 1/2. It was super hard. I had fun in my PhD. But after that I did not want to go through the whole post-doc nightmare. I am not a superstar and I did not want to struggle with a bad position someplace where I did not want to live. And I love a lot of other things. So I studied a little finance on my own and have worked in Wall St since 2003.

Good for you!