IGNORED

Why does SPDIF basically suck?

20 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Dude: You need to learn to read! I made no statement whatsoever of which are better. I just said that for clock dissemination, single ended is just fine.

Who made the statement about "this sounds better", regarding single ended vs balanced S/PDIF when?

“Completely agree on the diffs between design and implementation, and btw the vagueness of "this sounds better", especially comparing single ended vs balanced spdif.”

Panelhead seems to have interpret your rant like one is superior to the other.

9 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

how does that noise get transmitted?  are you claiming it goes thru the optical cable?

Most, but obviously not all here, believe that a better source give you better sound because of less noise and jitter etc. If you want to use a standard computer and optical direct out from it do that I don’t care.

8 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Actually the statement above is completely neutral. What I am saying is that there's design and there's implementation, and sometimes people make generalized statements about design based on one implementation they have analyzed/listened to. I think my statement is pretty clear.

I think it’s clear that the knowledge here about how S/PDIF works and how to implement it to gain the advantage of its design is very low. All designs have its pros and cons and a good designer or EE know how to use one or the other depending on the overall design, price and use.  

9 minutes ago, mansr said:

iFi certainly positions themselves as an audiophile company, and their S/PDIF outputs certainly don't have transformers. Those are indisputable facts.

Oh, we've reached the personal insults stage already.

It was you that complained and said “only if it is transformer coupled or optical. Many implementations are not.” When @ralf wrote “S/PDIF solves the galv. isolation problem of USB noise transmittal”

13 minutes ago, mansr said:

I think our friend Summit is just looking for a fight.

To get upset when someone claim things about other designs; like class D sucks or consumer grade sucks, is okay I guess, but claiming all kind of inaccurate stuff about how S/PDIF or DDCs works is okay?

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

I said S/PDIF doesn't always have a transformer. That is an accurate statement.

And I replied. What do you mean? "All good DDCs have some form of transformer coupling to isolate from the (often noisy) USB source. The $179 Schiit EITR for example has it, so it’s not only implemented in very expansive DDCs. The GI is and has always been one of the pros of a DDC or external renderers."