IGNORED

Storage - To NAS or Not

Reconsidering storage options as my WD Mybook is filling up faster than a bear with burgers and was wondering where to go next :-{

WD >MBp > Cyrus DAC XP > 2 X smartpowers > Monitor Audio RX6

2 IMACs + speakers (wireless) around the cave / shared library

a) Larger firewire drive?

b) RAID (drobo ? LACie)

c) NAS - Thecus, Drobo FS ?

The NAS would provide ease of use / redundancy

The RAID would be simple / safe

The Firewire drive woyuld be cheap

Traditionally NAS have not always played well with MACs but I hear Thecus are good. The Drobo sounds like a good idea but the FS is expensive ...

So many choices and I hibernate in four months ...

Yours, spoilt for choice, tog

In the PC world, I have had good success with a product from IOCELL that lets you network the drive OR use as a USB drive and go back and forth.

It is basically a box that you insert a SATA drive into.

You format the drive

Each PC on the network loads some software that allows each machine to access the drive.

My wifes MAC uses it also.

I have 3 device and have and ZERO problems in 2 years.

I also stream HD movies from one of the drives to a WDTV player - works fine

One can ALSO take the drive off line and use it as a USB drive - very nice for transferring stuff to another system, etc. Possibly ther best feature besides reliability

One can "link" a bunch of the drives together and create what appears to be 1 giant drive.

I don't care about RAID arrays as it is not pertinent to what I do and listening to music is important but not mission critical. They would be great backups that could be moved eslewhere and used easily as needed, however. Hence, I don't know if RAID works well or not

The technology is actually called NDAS and is not true NAS. I don't know what the exact differencs are and whether it makes a difference or not in this type application. I do know that the NDAS protects the drives from being accessed externally over the internet which I think is good but I can see why it might not be also.

Device are quiet and cheap - about $50

Performance is more than adeaquate for movies and music - not sure about absolute performance numbers

My 2c