IGNORED

Differences in MacBook Pro's?

I'm currently trying to decide on a new MacBook to buy for school and of course manage and play my music as a source.

I have noticed slight differences between the 13" and 15" as far as "Audio" is concerned and can't really understand the terminology and what it means in reality.

The 13" reads "Combined headphone/line in (supports digital output), microphone, stereo speakers with subwoofers"

The 15" says "Audio line in minijack (digital/analog), audio line out/headphone minijack (digital/analog), microphone, stereo speakers with subwoofers"

So can anyone enlighten me on what it will actually mean for me?

What is the difference?

I understand the basic change that one has a separate line in and a separate line out. Also that the 15" has a line out/headphone jack. Does this mean the 13" doesn't have a proper line out? God this is confusing. I'm probably over analyzing this.

PS: I'm talking about the new April revision.

After lurking for approximately 6 months now, with this being my first topic & post...

To be honest I'm quite disappointed.

I know a lot of you have Macbooks, yet NOT ONE person has replied in nearly a week from posting it.

Is this really such a hard question? I would go down to my local store and investigate myself if I could but no one stocks it around here. There is nothing specific about it on the internet that I have been able to find. Hence why I asked here, with high hopes might I add.

I leave, again, with a sour taste in my mouth. :/

I'm sorry Hero Kid, I only have a 15" Macbook Pro for work and use a Mac Mini for music at home. I have no experience with a 13". I just didn't want you to think that everyone here is non-responsive. Generally people here are very helpful.

Plinius SA-Reference, EMM Labs DCC2/CDSD, Soliloquy 6.5 Full Range Speakers, Mac Mini, Pure Music, dB Audio Labs Essential USB Cable, Empirical Audio Offramp 4 with Turboclocks & Hynes Regulator upgrades - Power Conditioning & Cabling by Silver Circle Audio

Kid,

I have 2 of the 13 and one of the 15. If you are going to do audio input and output for recording I would suggest the 15 as the 13 can do one or the other but not both.

By that I mean you can do Toslink or Line on any of the connectors. But the 13 is unidirectional.

But really if you are going to record there are several USB and Firewire DAW systems that would give you better performance than the built in ports. That being said the 13 would be fine and more compact for day to day usage.

I would make sure you get 4G of memory no matter what the choice is.

Thanks

Gordon

No need to visit a store, Google is your friend.

from everymac.com

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-unibody-faq/differences-between-macbook-pro-13-15-17-inch-mid-2010.html

"† The 13-Inch models lack optical audio in and instead use the same "combined optical digital output/headphone out (user-selectable analog audio line in)" port as the iPhone."

As Gordon said, unless you're recording, it's not a significant difference.

Perhaps best to avoid having high hopes from a community in which you only lurk.

welcome to CA,

Clay

Firstly I thank everyone for the replies. Sad how the moment you wine people listen, such is life I suppose.

I can see the benefit for having the separate line in of the 15" for recording.

But is there any advantage for sound out-put? Wouldn't having a "audio line out" make a difference in SQ? Rather than not having a audio line out at all, like the 13".

Also the 15" has "digital/analog" when the 13" only has digital. Is there any benefit of having the analog output capability?