IGNORED

Schiit embarrassed at AXPONA

23 minutes ago, Nordkapp said:

Yeah right, it doesn't cost $3K per meter!

Canton/Esoterica with lamp cord would crush Schiit.

Schiit is fine, but it’s simply not in the same category. Uselessly provocative thread. 

Edit - yes, I heard both rooms. Canton/Esoterica actually wasn’t as good as last year.

3 hours ago, Dr Tone said:

No surprise. I have opined here and elsewhere that DAC/ line level has matured to the point where if well implemented, relatively inexpensive gear is competitive with much more expensive gear.  Within the bounds of taste/ preference, and with rapidly diminished returns with higher price. 

Amplification and speakers, usually another story. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

3. Power (can be horrendous).

One of the more amusing sights was a monster power conditioner, with wrist-thick Cracken like tentacles to the various components, but with the power cord narrowed to (maybe) pinky finger thickness at the end where it entered the plug assembly.  

36 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

ELIZA was an early AI system or computer program that spit out various things based on user input

GUTB appears to be an early AI system or computer program that spits out various things whether there is input or not

everyone should learn about ELIZA

this is another system with input,  and perhaps a much more comparable output

(sorry GUTB, couldn't resist, please take this in the fun spirit in which it is intended)

untitled.png

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I'm not so sure even that is true. Take the Schiit system and the Esoteric system, have them both play the same piece of music through the same pair of speakers (with a switch to select which system is playing through the speakers at any given time) and I doubt that anyone would find enough difference between to two in a double blind comparison to consistently be able to pick out the more expensive of the two systems. Don't misunderstand me here, I'm not trying to say that the two disparate systems would sound alike, not a bit of it, but I'm saying that one probably won't sound enough better than the other as to be a clear indicator of price. Remember. In high-end audio price doesn't always indicate sound quality. 

Being a dumpster-diving, bottom feeding DIY type, I’m inclined to agree with your sentiments in a general sense. Good (and bad) sound comes in a wide ranges of price tags.  

Same system, most likely couldn’t differentiate DACs, within preference/taste (I personally think DAC and line level have matured, lots of great sound at most price points, but that’s another discussion). 

Amplification, I think a good listener could readily differentiate between Esoteric and Schiit.  My opinion. 

I dont think Schiit was embarrassed at all, and I think the Salk speakers were appropriate for thier target market. But Esoteric/Canton was in a different category than Schiit/Salk.