IGNORED

Networked HDD vs Internal SSD for music files?

8 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

So, as far as music file storage is concerned (& playback) have I understood this correctly please?

The best solution is to use an external drive with independent LPSU? And the drive should be HDD, not SSD?

OR, is there an even better solution like loading playing music files into RAM?

Cheers!

I would get a NAS (network attached storage) and go with WiFi for the ultimate in galvanic isolation. You can get an Asus AC1200 dual band (MIMO) router for $40, Ac 1200 USB WiFi network dongle for $20.

You will get speeds that support even demanding DSD data rates and do it for $60.

One way to test all of this is install the free trial version of J River and set it up for 20 seconds of buffer. Start play back and enable air plane mode. Now this will kill power to the WiFi USB but the music will still play out of buffer. If you don't hear a difference then that is the best / most optimal setup you can achieve.

8 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

I have: syn. ds218+ NAS with max. memory of 6GB & LPSU; + zyxel-vmg3925 dual band wireless acn vdsl2-combo wan gigabit router with usb port W/LPSU.

So, I think all I need is the wifi dongle for the NAS?

Cheers!

7 hours ago, the_doc735 said:

addendum:

SSD or HDD, and why?

Internal or external, and why?

You would hard wire the NAS into the ASUS and use the AC1200 USB on your playback machine.

HDD on the NAS because the $ to GB is better and it will not yield you any SQ increase. Remember you can disable the WiFi adapter and music will still play. The HDD in the NAS is out of the picture at this point.