IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, pl_svn said:

@Superdad... bought this one (actually a three pack 9_9) on Amazon.it

just... what kind of "plug" do I need? wires are so thin I can't make them stick :|

+1........they just pop right out

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

1) maxed out Woo WA2 > Beyerdynamic T1 w/ Forza Noir hybrid cable mod

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

***Audio system powered by two Equi=Core 300 balanced power sources                                                       

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, lumos said:

I went with the Ghent Audio connections that John S recommended on this site. 

Please post which Ghent Audio cables John recommends.

2 modified PCs in a streamer with WS2012/ AO 2.20/ Jplay 7/ Fidelizer Pro 8.2/ Process Lasso/

Pachanko lan cables & PPA ethernet switch between pcs > Audio PC JCat Femto usb audio card > iFi Gemini 3.0 dual headed usb cable > iFi iGalvanic > iFi iUsb power 3.0   > iFi iPurifier 3 > Singxer SU-1 (i2s out) > Wyred 4 Sound DAC2V2 DSDse >

2) Woo WA2 pre amp > Exposure 2010S2 Int Amp + Exposure 2010S2 Power Amp > Von Gaylord Legend Speakers + REL T-5 Sub-Bass System

Thanks, just ordered a couple.

It looks like a well made cable at a great price. I'm sure its an upgrade over the stock cable.

• 2 months later...

Superdad, sorry if similar question has already been asked .........

I am interested in Singxer's new SU-6. It's normal operation current draw is well below the 1.2A threshold. However, at turn on it charges a 7.5f supercap which draws from 1.2A to 2A per the manufacturer. If the LPS-1.2 could continue working and limit current draw to its max level while the supercap is charging it could work well with this DDC. Does the LPS-1.2 have this continue working/current limiting capability, or does it just shut down?

Thanks, SD. I have the Su-1 with an LPS-1.2 on it and it is a superb combo. There would be no reason to upgrade to the SU-6 if I couldn't use the LPS-1.2 with it.

I think there will be more supercap units coming to market. These are a problem for the LPS-1.2. It would be nice if there was some circuit or means for it to handle them and their short charging time high current draws.

I will contact Leter@Singxer and see if I can get any info on charging time for the SU-6 supercap circuit.

Interesting........but couldn't you just parallel the outputs of 2 LPS-1.2s?

Plus, the problem for me is this becomes a +$1,000 upgrade of the SU-1. Even if I could just use my LPS-1.2 by itself, I'm not sure of buying the SU-6.

I've decided to wait on some reviews of the Singxer SU-6 and see if it is a significant upgrade. The SU-1/LPS-1.2 is pretty damn good.

On 11/22/2018 at 7:17 PM, Superdad said:

Good question!  The truth is that without trying the new Singxer SU-6 and UltraCap LPS-1.2 together there is no way to know for sure if the combo will work.  [Of course there are a great many people (including myself) using an LPS-1.2 to power their SU-1 DDC units.]

The 1.1~1.19A current limit (every unit is certified to perform to at least 1.1A, some make it to almost 1.2A) is a pretty firm limit.  I would need to check with @JohnSwenson with regards to how short a current draw burst over that limit would need to be to avoid tripping an LPS-1.2 into its over-current mode (wherein it turns off its output, flashes red 5 times, then turns on output with one green flash to check if load is still too high, if it is then it flashes red 5 times again and so on).

SD, I received two emails from Leter@singxer about the SU-6 charging needs:

1) "  if LPS-1.2 can continuous work in its maximum current mode,it can work well with SU-6.

SU-6's actual current is about 1.2A-2A small current need more time to charging suppercaps"

When I asked for more elaboration on charging he replied:

2) " power up  need 30s,and the charging is about 2 minutes.Fully charged about 15 min."

From this description of the powerup/charging needs of the SU-6, I don't believe my single LPS-1.2 can do the job. However, it sounds like once the supercap circuit is charged the LPS-1.2 could do the job.

The extra cost of another supply precludes my purchase of the SU-6. I doubt the upgrade would be worth the cost. I wish I could figure out how to use a cheap power supply to charge the cap circuit.

Thanks SD. Yes, I agree we won't really know until someone tries it. I can wait a bit and hope someone does. 

I first thought the input was 5 volts but now I see the input connector says 7.5>9 volts. Anyway here is the web page.......no reviews I can find yet. Google translate does a good job translating. Perhaps Leter can just reply to me in Chinese and I can translate via google........he may be more understandable that way.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=581802405856&abtest=5&rn=a2f3317be68fde9cc616520b7ca45cdb&sid=9a3d34eb1fdf4d8584650bbfdad7f6fb

• 3 years later...

Last September I sent 2 LPS-1.2 units in for repair and was told parts are no longer available. However I was disappointed in that I have received no feedback on how to move forward and Uptone still has my units. This will remove Uptone from future business from me. They were a great product while they worked but I expected much longer than a 3 year lifespan for the kind of money I spent.

45 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Fran:

We really do feel terrible about this! 

I recall your situation and know that over the course of some months in early 2018 you purchased four UltraCap LPS-1.2 units. Hopefully two of your 4 are still working well.

I would be happy to extend a discount offer to you on any UpTone product--present or forthcoming--just contact me via e-mail.  But I certainly understand if your experience has left a bad taste and reluctance to do further business with us.  Again, my deepest apologies about this unfortunate situation.

Wishing you good health and great music,

--Alex C.

Sadly a 3rd one died a few months ago. Since I had no reason to hope it could be repaired I just tossed it aside. I have it if you want to look at it. I had the 4th in reserve as I never used it for an upgrade I had planned. I used that one last year and it is still working along with 2 TeraDak linear supplies I had. So I have managed to keep my system going through this. I'm sure can understand why I am not happy with your company.

I do see the bad situation you are in since you designed your supply with a proprietary part that you can no longer get. Not interested in spending any more money even with a discount.