IGNORED

Finally...A basic DAC from Mytek

Thought I would chime in both the good and the bad as I owned it for about a month. This product is essentially a bare bones version of the Brooklyn. I have around 200 hours on it now (break in is ESSENTIAL) and absolutely love it. The sound went from dry, uninviting, "bad purchase" to pure joy. I first ran into my preamp but then changed to run directly into my amplifier which I prefer. My complaints are 1) you do not know the resolution of the file being played and 2) while running directly into the amplifier the volume must be set at 80 percent or higher to achieve peak SPL in the 90's. The headphone amp sounded excellent (probably addictive) with my Hifiman headphones but again needed at least 80 percent volume level. On two other cheaper headphones I tried the sound was awful. My sources are Tidal, Streaming FM radio and YouTube via a Windows laptop USB. A big surprise was how excellent streaming FM radio (WBGO jazz) sounded - I can listen all night. New digital recordings sound superb at redbook resolution - no great need for MQA. With older recordings MQA can be "magical" (Van Morrison, Nat King Cole, Beach Boys, David Bowie) - you would need a very pricey analog setup and along with select pressings to beat it. A friend who is an original Brooklyn owner loves the Liberty and feels it is at least as equal and maybe slightly better - not sure I agree until I have both products here. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok .. I have been able to compare all 3 DAC's from Mytek. All were used as a preamplifier directly into my amp. Sources were Tidal, WBGO steaming radio and a turntable.

There are surprises here. The Liberty 'should' sound the same as the original Brooklyn DAC (borrowed from friend)  however the Liberty was noticeably cleaner, more dynamic, quieter and overall better. But why? Its the same chip inside. Maybe eliminating most of the features? Perhaps someone from Mytec will step in here and explain.

The Brooklyn DAC+ (purchased) is still breaking in (50 hours) but so far the Liberty would be the item to own if you do not require the extra features of the DAC+. If you already own the Brooklyn and like the extras, I would upgrade to the DAC+. Even with less than 100 hours, I am finding more details, deeper soundstage, blacker blacks and lots more 'potential'.

So why did I buy the DAC+ if the Liberty was already shining in my system? The phono stage. At first I did not like it - but that is usually true with most audio purchases. Things generally need to break in and settle into my system. But the good news is each time I play a record I get 'locked in' meaning I stop whatever else I am doing and just listen. I have maybe 4000 records and always use a top quality turntable. Currently spinning the new Technics. No disappointments here - wipes all those sub $1000 stages I have heard.

With respect to headphones, I have a pair of Hifiman HE-4001 but honestly do not use them often. However, both the Liberty and DAC+ produced rich, detailed sound even at low volume. I have to respect everyone who listen exclusively with headphones.

The DAC+ is an ideal way to downsize your system while upgrading the sound. For the price I cannot think of any other component with such impact especially if you are using both the DAC and the phono stage.

Is the Brooklyn Amp next? Wish I could hear one as I do not like returning items. Anyone have one?

@Veovis The Liberty has only digital volume control. What amplifiers have you used previously? Curious to know if the Brooklyn Amp was able to replace more expensive amplifiers.

I have been thinking about the DACs and believe Mytek has proper pricing on them. Is  the DAC+ worth $1200 more than the Liberty? Absolutely! The DAC+ is LOADED with features and I think a bargain if you use it as a preamp and also use the phono stage.

The Liberty does not take a back seat to the DAC+ soundwise. If you are an audio fan on a tight budget and do not need the phono stage, the Liberty is an excellent long term option. But remember if you purchase one allow at least 50 hours or so before you make judgements.

After using the Brooklyn DAC+ exclusively for the past week, I decided to slip the Liberty back into my system. This little DAC sounded just as good. Probably not better but in all fairness, the Liberty performs in the same ballpark. The sound is just as rich, dynamics just as good. The soundstages differ however - I find the DAC+ holds a very solid dimension with nice depth and no 'over-exaggeration'. The Liberty presents the wider soundstage but maybe too wide? It could be just my system. Again like I mention in previous posts, if you are on a budget the Liberty is the choice. For me personally the DAC+ fits my needs more as this will be my preamp and phono stage. I will probably sell or trade-in the Liberty and purchase the Brooklyn Amp. Any dealers in the NYC area have the amp setup?