IGNORED

Meetups, Clubs, and Audio Fraternizing

48 minutes ago, mansr said:

I've also occasionally wondered if there are any others in my area. Could be fun to meet for a drink, if nothing else.

I don't go to audio shows since I don't see the point in paying money for the privilege of being subjected to an endless sales pitch.

I don't recall ever getting a sales pitch that i did not initiate at an audio show and i have been to a dozen of them.  The cost is less than the trip costs, and if you never have been to any, you owe it to yourself to go to one....make it part of a vacation...there are usually many things to do or see besides the show in the area....jmo...not preaching or trying to convince...just my angle.

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

The entire purpose of audio shows is to sell stuff. Same as any trade show.

Thats very true, but most sales people are too busy to try to push anything on someone unless they are genuinely interested....think of a store with one sales person and 200 people looking at their gear...they aren't going to have time to spend talking to 200 people...they know to only pitch to those with questions.  about the closest you will get to a pitch is a demo that is demo'd to many and you can simply walk out during demo if uninterested. 

They also have free food and drinks...(smile)

4 hours ago, buonassi said:

excellent.  I'm going to check it out.  I'm in central Illinois so I may have to plan a weekend trip.  I'll let you know personally if I can plan something like that this year.  

I'd think there have to be similar groups in Chicago or St. Louis.  All I've been able to find are mostly geared toward car audio.

i didnt google "st louis audiophile group" but this comes up right away "chicago audiophile group"

http://www.chicagoaudio.org/other-audiophile-societies.html

but it may not be very active since it lists the next event in dec 2017 (grin)

http://www.chicagoaudio.org/our-next-event.html

get the fire under their butts.

sometimes calling one group and a little research will point to another one....