IGNORED

On the subject of "ringing"

semente

9 minutes ago, semente said:

I prefer linear phase but if I compare it with minimum phase there's something not quite right about it... I wonder if @Miska has a filter with 1/3 pre-ringing and 2/3 post- (is it even possible?).

For PCM yes, "asymFIR". And on my TODO-list for SDM outputs too. From my personal listening experience point of view, I feel it is more like "bad of both worlds" instead of "good of both worlds".

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 minutes ago, semente said:

What is it exactly that you don't like?

I've spent a bit comparing all three FIR filters and I don't dislike the asymFIR, in fact it sounds quite natural to my ears.

I'm using the following tracks: The Peacocks by Bill Evans, Dance With Waves by Anouar Brahem and the 3rd movement of Cassadó's Cello Sonata by Janos Starker.

Unfortunately all three FIR filters sound somewhat unrefined when compared to the poly-sinc-xtr/xtr-mp family...

To me, it didn't really come close enough to minimum-phase sonically, although it is naturally quite far from linear-phase.

Those FIR filters are more similar constructs to DAC chip filters, although still better.

I already have partial implementation of those asymmetric filters for poly-sinc -family (for almost a year), but encountered a technical problem and moved to other things meanwhile, so the functionality is not complete yet...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers