IGNORED

New house - network/cabling suggestions?

I did this a number of years back when Cat 5e was the bleeding edge.  Fortunately, I also did two things: 1) I also ran fiber everywhere i put Ethernet and 2) I put everything in PVC conduits so that I could re-run the cables if needed later.  In your case you might want to run fully shielded Cat7 capable cables in wall, but then be careful how you terminate them in terms of not having the shielding carry noise.  May also depend on how electrically "noisy" your environment is. 

I found I could not do without WiFi because a) the kids demanded it, b) I needed it for the security cameras, thermostats and other IOT devices, and c) I wanted to use handheld devices to control my system.  But I kept the WiFi routers away from the listening room.  

I went with business class hardware and did some mixing and matching of brands (which meant I had to learn how to manage everything myself because most IT firms I interviewed only wanted to program their favorite brand of equipment).  

Re your XLR question that is pretty long, but still way better than running speaker cables that distance.  I set mine up to split the distance, but my speaker cables (particularly to the rear channels on my surround system) are still longer than i would like. 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

23 hours ago, trionfare said:

So glad I posted. Thanks for the helpful reply @sdolezalek I hadn't even considered fiber. Which cable did you opt for? A quick search suggests there are at least 3 types. 

You also mention terminating the Cat7 capables- can you tell me more about this? I was just thinking of running them from modem under floors and into a wall with an outlet so devices could plug in there.

Finally since most routers have 4 ethernet ports did you use some type of device to increase this number?

Curious if others have lessons learned from house wiring too....

I used single mode fiber and had it run to all the same rooms as I ran Ethernet to.  Many rooms have two separate Ethernet lines, particularly those with entertainment units. 

Although MFIN posted above that you can cascade switches, my networking experts suggested that is good way to really slow down your network.  So in most cases equipment is direct wired through a "homerun" cable to a large distribution panel in my basement.  There the Ethernet wires are run into a 28 port Cisco business class switch.  I actually configured my network much like what Chris has done with his (as described here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/ca/ca-academy/Network-Audio-Refresher/ ).  So I use an Arris SurfBoard Docsis Modem (SVG2482AC) that feeds into a TP-Link SafeStream TL-R600VPN Gigabit Broadband Desktop VPN Router, from there I run two subnetworks, one through a  TP-Link 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Easy Smart Switch | Managed Plus and the other through a Cisco SG200-26 Gigabit Ethernet Smart Switch with 24 10/100/1000 Ports and 2 Combo Mini-GBIC Ports (SLM2024T-NA).  I use the Mini-GBIC Ports on the Cisco to run the fiber through to my NAA Appliance.  My Synology NAS is also connected into the Cisco Switch. 

In each room there are the appropriate outlets for Ethernet and phone.  In most cases I have not yet terminated the fiber as I currently only use that for my sound system.  

On the Cat7 cables, you can benefit from the extra shielding, but you don't want the shielding to be the way that noise gets from one component to another.  

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)