IGNORED

UltraRendu vs an expensive music server

As a counterpoint, I disagree.  Your server can be the best beginning and endpoint.  It doesn't have to be an expensive server.  A sCLK-EX server build will get you near the best the market has if not the best.  Power supplies are another story and can get expensive all around for top quality.  Keep it really simple!!

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

3 hours ago, KingRex said:

Austinpop,  that is a massively long Forum string, that has been divided up by the moderator. Is there a place in that string you would like me to look?

Click on the arrow in the right hand corner of the box/link.

NOTE:  This comparison is with the trifecta, but you can consider the sCLK-EX Server on par with the trifecta in that there is a usage of multiple sCLK-EX points.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

• 3 months later...

Then there is the opposing camp, that realize your just pushing the problem further downstream with a renderer, trying to limit/correct the damage that has occurred upsteam.  Thus the recent explosion of upscale servers (and switches) with custom mobos, power supplies and even clocking, which with a bit of DIY have been preceded (see sCLK EX) to a point (mobo compromises), cost $1500-2k plus power supply.   Results, best SQ yet.

Keep it simple, go to the source.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:18 AM, Em2016 said:

The ultraRendu is also a computer.

But if using Roon or Audirvana (for example) the ultraRendu isn't decoding to PCM or DSD - this decoding is done by the upstream server (which can be on the other side of the house, far away). So you would expect CPU usage to be lower with this lower powered endpoint (computer) close to the DAC input. The difference in CPU usage would be even larger if the server is doing CPU intensive up-sampling or other DSP...

Whether or not this lower CPU usage close to the DAC (and other RF sensitive gear) results in better sound quality - best to try and judge with your ears.

I'm no expert but I've learnt a lot from talking to the designers of my DACs. If you can, I would ask for their thoughts. Who would know better than the designers of your own gear?

Problem with asking the DAC designer is that their interests/views can often be scewed.  Though interesting and worth hearing from, I take them with eyes squinted.  Best to hear for yourself or from other proven like minded audiophiles.