IGNORED

Innuos Zenith SE MkII

I've never seen Music Library listed in the system's Dashboard (my.innuos.com).

The list displayed is the following:

- Disc Ripper
- Import
- Quarantine
- Backup
- System
- Settings

I would like to delete a couple of albums, and the online manual describes doing this after selecting Music Library in the Dashboard.

Do you think that Music Library is not listed because the Zenith is configured as Roon Core?

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

1 hour ago, Patatorz said:

If you are running as a Roon core, lots of parameters are not accessible as they are linked to UPnP server. If you want to have access, untick the Roon core and select UPnP. Parameters should appear I assume.

As an experiment I switched from Roon Core to UPnP Streamers and the Music Library became available within the Dashboard.  After further reading of the manual, I found the following within the section Installing Roon.

With Roon installed, the following innuOS services will be disabled:

• Music Library - The Music Library will be removed from the innuOS Dashboard. Any changes to metadata and cover art will now be done through Roon.

So I presume that with Zenith in Roon Core mode, the methods for editing metadata or deleting albums would be:

• Roon Remote (edit metadata or delete album)

• Mac OS application such as Metadatics (edit metadata)

• Mac OS Finder (delete album)

And that if editing or deleting is done via Mac OS, you would need to force a rescan of the library.

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

• 4 months later...

baconbrain: “The integration into my upstream signal chain; Router -> Melco -> SE -> Trinnov (all via ethernet bridge) was absolutely effortless.

Another satisfied Zenith SE owner here. Pardon my ignorance, but can you elaborate on the phrase "ethernet bridge?" Is this the same as a bridged LAN that Romaz and others have utilized? Thanks!

– Decca Records, 1962

• 1 year later...

Has anyone had success configuring a NAS backup? I can successfully backup to an external USB drive, but when I go through the Configure Backup steps for Network Folder, the process fails:

"The server had a system error. Please restart the server and try again. If the problem persists please contact Innuos Support ([email protected])"

I've reached out to Innuos Support.

Innuos 1.4.3

MacOS 10.15.4

SOtM sNH-10G Switch

Synology Model: DS1815+
Current DSM Version: DSM 6.2.2-24922 Update 4

– Decca Records, 1962

I recently posted a topic in the Roon Community forums about the Synology NAS Hostname no longer working in Roon > Settings > Storage. And there was another topic on that subject dating back to last summer.

Roon does not add Synology shared folder via Hostname

No longer connecting to SMB shares on Synology via Hostname

Attempting to add a Synology NAS shared folder using the Hostname fails with an error message.

smb://synology/Music

But when you use the IP address instead of Hostname, the Synology NAS shared folder is added successfully.

smb://192.168.0.10/Music

I wonder if this same issue is the reason I can not configure a backup to the Synology NAS shared folder within Innuos Settings?

Music Library Configuration

The Innuos online manual section:

Configuring Your Server > Music Library Configuration

Describes adding a NAS shared folder to the Innuos server, by entering the server name or its IP address, and then the path to the folder containing the music.

Integrating Music From a NAS Shared Folder

The Innuos online manual section:

Configuring Your Server > Integrating Music From a NAS Shared Folder

Describes integrating a NAS shared folder into the Music Library by inputing the server name or its IP address, and then the path to the folder you'd like to add.

However ...

Both of those steps require access to the section:

Settings > Music Library > Configure NAS Shared Folders

Which is not available if you have chosen Roon as the Music Server Integration.

And the Configure Backup process states:

"Enter the Server Name of your NAS into the hostname field. The name must be identical to how it appears on your network."

– Decca Records, 1962

Continuing my exploration of this issue with the Hostname and Synology NAS.

With InnuOS version 1.4.3

There are two locations where the user can input the NAS shared folder path by entering the server name or its IP address:

1) Configuring Your Server > Music Library Configuration

2) Configuring Your Server > Integrating Music From a NAS Shared Folder

But the Configure Backup process states:

"Enter the Server Name of your NAS into the hostname field. The name must be identical to how it appears on your network.”

I have inquired with Innuos Support if they could modify the Configure Backup process, so that it would also work by entering the server name or its IP address. And if they could add that change to InnuOS version 1.4.4.

This might provide a solution to the Hostname issue.

I have not received a reply from Support regarding my inquiries. But given the COVID19 situation, patience is key.

– Decca Records, 1962

I do not think this is an Innuos issue.

Within Roon, using the Synology NAS hostname worked for a long time. But as of last summer it stop working, and the workaround since then has been to use the IP address. (see the Roon forum topics I linked to above)

Not sure whether this was due to a Synology DSM update, macOS update, Roon update, or some combination.

And so for Roon external storage, you have to assign a static IP address to the Synology NAS.

In macOS Catalina, I can still connect to the Synology NAS with its hostname — “smb://synology” or “afp://synology.local” — both of those being recommended within the Synology NAS Control Panel > File Services.

Although last October, this article was posted online:

Connection Problem Between Synology NAS and macOS Catalina

... with the conclusion that connecting via SMB using the IP address was the most reliable solution. Example: “smb://192.168.0.10”

However I've found that using AFP, the native file sharing protocol, to have the best performance. See this article:

AFP vs. SMB and NFS File Sharing for Network Clients

18 hours ago, NYCEnglish said:

I'm not sure it's an Innuos issue as NAS backups work fine for me with no issues. I also have a Mac but my NAS is a QNAP.

Thank you. That's the kind of clue I was looking for. If you are successfully backing up to the QNAP using its hostname, I would presume that points the finger at the Synology.

18 hours ago, thyname said:

‘It’s been a while since I did this with my Innuos and NAS, but I think the key is to create an empty sub folder in your NAS, then back up to that folder, using the NAS’s IP address

I had tried this before, but with no success — creating a sub-folder “Backup” within the NAS shared folder “ZENITH”.

But because the Innuos Configure Backup process states:

“Enter the Server Name of your NAS into the hostname field. The name must be identical to how it appears on your network.”

... I entered the hostname “synology”, and the shared folder “ZENITH”, but after entering the User/Password, received the error message:

“The server had a system error. Please restart the server and try again.”

Because of the Roon experience described above, I started the process over. But this time entered the server IP address instead of the hostname. That successfully reached the page “Choose folder for backup” with “Root > Backup” folder displayed.

At that time I must have misunderstood the instructions to “choose folder”, thinking since “Backup” was the only sub-folder listed below “Root”, there was nothing to choose. And perhaps also thinking, since there was no button to select next to the sub-folder, there was no action to take. So I selected “NEXT” to proceed and then received the error message again.

After reading your comments above, I decided to try the process again. Entered the IP address instead of the requested Server Name, but when I reached the “Choose folder for backup” window, I actually clicked on the sub-folder “Backup” and voila! It configured the backup path!

Innuos > Music Library > Configure Backup > Network Folder: //192.168.0.10/ZENITH/Backup

So thank you both for your comments. It motivated me to try yet again!

I will now run the Backup process and see what happens.

– Decca Records, 1962