IGNORED

iDecco/Decco2 as a DAC only

I have had the new Sabre 9006 equipped Deccos recommended to me by a dealer I trust. This would replace my stock PS Audio DLIII. Has anyone used just the DAC portion in their system? Chris compared several pieces including the DLIII in his followup review of the Deccos and I am looking for more opinions. Rather than upgrade my DLIII by Rick Cullen I can sell it and move up. I like the musical sound of the DLIII and it improved with the addition of the M2Tech Hiface. However, I am interested in what the Decco with the Sabre 9006 can do as a stand-alone DAC. Thanks!

"Information is not knowledge,

Knowledge is not wisdom,

Wisdom is not truth,

Truth is not beauty,

Beauty is not love,

Love is not music and

Music is the best" -Frank Zappa

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, musiciseverything

I have just received a Peachtree Nova, which has the same DAC as the Deccos.

When I plugged my Sennheiser HD800 directly into the Nova, I was quite disappointed. Although quite decent, compared to Headroom Ultra Desktop, the Nova's built-in headphone amp sounds veiled, recessed, even blurry...

I then used the Nova as a DAC, connecting it to my Headroom Ultra Desktop Amp via analog cables (very cheap ones, BTW).

The result absolutely blew my mind and will probably cost me this night's sleep! I was quite sure that Headroom Ultra Desktop's built-in DAC could not be bested without spending thousands more, so wonderfully resolving, big, immediate and lifelike it is. But yes, with the Sabre DAC my amp sounds even better! Even more fluidity, resolution, immediacy! I can hear minute details of the musician's breath (and he is not singing but playing a violin), I think I could hear clothes rustle during a pause in the music, etc. I don't know if you prefer such level of detail but to me it means that another veil has been removed between the music and me, and it is as close to reality as can be!

Mind you, they use 9006 chip, which is their budget version. What one can experience with 9008 or 9018 based DAC's, is beyond my imagination.

Sergueison,

Thanks for your reply. I have heard similar responses, but only using the Nova as an integrated. I am hoping to hear more of your impressions as it settles in. It seems that the implementation of the chip is as important as the chip itself. The Sabre 32 is in the Oppo 83SE and some have described detail, but almost too much, as though it becomes artificial. I like the PS Audio because it sounds real. I would like more digital inputs and the Nova would give me that. Thanks, again!

Knowledge is not wisdom,

Wisdom is not truth,

Truth is not beauty,

Beauty is not love,

Love is not music and

I suppose it depends on the sound you're looking for. I for one was completely underwhelmed by the Decco, but YMMV. I had my DL3 modded by Cullen Circuits and far preferred it to my Decco, FWIW. I took that modded DL3 head to head against the Lavry DA-11 and the Ayre QB-9, and found no good reason to upgrade. It wasn't until I hit the $5k Berkeley Alpha that it finally was clearly bettered, but even then, only so in the extreme frequencies (very low bass and high treble). Again, YMMV, but were I looking to upgrade, I'd want the upgrade to be very real and very obvious.

Socrates7,

I see your point. It is in the output not the decoding that makes the sound. I have heard/read both sides comparing the DLIII Mod3 and the Decco and there are those purporting one over another. I have decided to wait for the new Cullen DAC and compare it to the yet-to-be-released Decco DAC. I will have to have a return option. Only then will I know how they sound in my system. Thanks for your input.

Knowledge is not wisdom,

Wisdom is not truth,

Truth is not beauty,

Beauty is not love,

Love is not music and