IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

5 hours ago, Miska said:

I'll check later, I have not done much testing on it yet. At the moment the GPU is not working, because Fedora's kernel update broke the Nvidia driver... :D (negative sides of using Fedora which keeps staying on bleeding edge)

I tried on my own machine (i13900t) which is fanless (my bad), but has the same memory cards (DDR5 at 6'400 MHz). With the 'optimized defaults' except for XPM1 memory setting, everything is upsampled comfortably, up to DSD 64. DSD 128 does not work without dropouts for me anyhow, due to convolution.

Reducing the target frequency of the performance cores to 3900 MHz does not affect the performance and helps reduce the extreme temperature of the CPU. So this is were it sits, waiting for a different CPU cooler and possibly a GPU to help handle the DSD 128.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Cheapest Ultra is 4900 EUR, so it is certainly not cheap alternative.

I agree. There still is a significant price gap. Second hand Mac Studio M1 Ultra might be the way to go for this application. I saw offers at 3'900 and this will probably decrease when more machines are hitting the market after the M2 Ultra release... 

3 hours ago, ArcticSapien said:

Your machine is more powerful than mine. Surprise it's not giving you DSD256. Wonder if the fanless configuration is the culprit.

Sorry for my lack of clarity: my i9-12900t is not able to upsample to DSD512 from DSD128 with the convolution in matrix (four channels). It is able to do DSD512 from all formats without the convolution.