IGNORED

TEAC NT-505 NT505 Worth Waiting for ?

To revive this thread.  The NT505 seems to have a great spec including TOTR AKM4497 chips (same as Linn Klimax, even though of course chips don’t matter...) every format and service you can think of, including the codec that cannot be named, and looks to retail for sub £1100 in UK, but very little exposure  in the way of journalist reviews or owner forum discussion.

So is this just another  case of spec sheet running ahead of  actual performance, or a giant killer being kept quiet?

Good to hear from owners and recent listening impressions, especially vs Esoteric or Lumin.

48 minutes ago, crenca said:

What more does it offer over less expensive AKM implementations from Schiit and others?

As it’s a Roon compatible streamer, I was thinking more about how it compared with significantly more expensive implementations from Esoteric or Lumin at treble the price and upwards.  AFAIK Schiit do not offer a streamer, nor indeed a DAC with the flagship AKM chip.

Maybe I’m a bit out of touch, but I’m not  aware of much around the price or cheaper that offers, in one box, Roon, Tidal, Quobuz, Hi rate  DSD and PCM  etc input over Ethernet and balanced/SE analogue out.  The fact the latter is via DAC chips which AFAIK  only feature on much more expensive  items just pique my interest further.  But again, eye catching spec headlines and actual performance are 2 different  things.