IGNORED

Dragonfly Black teardown

mansr

3 hours ago, miguelito said:

@mansr: Do you know whether the MQA filter is on all the time in the updated Dragonflys or whether the DF actually switches filters depending on whether the stream is MQA or not?

It uses the ESS built-in minimum phase filter for non-MQA streams. For MQA, it uses whichever of the 16 defined filters the metadata specifies.

1 minute ago, miguelito said:

Ok so it does switch based on stream? Asking because so many implementations (even with ESS DACs) are done fixing the filter to MQA’s. And very likely to just one of them. 

There are 16 MQA filters. All DACs have to be able to switch between those.

• 11 months later...
14 hours ago, starsky said:

I have a dragonfly red which hit the deck when my computer slipped off my desk and now has a non working headphone jack (along with bent usb.. ouch). Unit still works except for the dodgy headphone so i was planning to try to open up and replace the headphone jack. Can see that it is a destructive process but was hoping mansr may have some tips on limiting the damage. From checking out some other images it seems the cap is glued at 4 points on the ends of the cap and i was thinking of trying to drill them out to release the cap... Thoughts? Unit was only 3 weeks old

I used a Dremel tool to cut off a few mm at the headphone end. Very destructive. The case consists of an aluminium tube and end caps with holes for the USB and headphone connectors. Those caps are jammed in tight and deep. I doubt it's possible to open it non-destructively. Drilling the corners may help, but be careful not to hit the PCB or any components.

34 minutes ago, starsky said:

Thanks mansr good advice. I'm presuming the pcb either slides into or sits on a rail. If i drill close enough to the corners i should hopefully avoid components. Need to decide now whether to go that route or the dremel. Either way it is worth trying to resurrect it.

Yes, once you get the end cap off, the PCB slides out. The headphone end seems easier to work on.